Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Trillium Seed

Posted by learn2turn 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 12, 12 at 10:32

I have a trillium with that flowed with a capsule that likely has some seed. I read a bit about it's two-year cold cycle when planted and also that 90 day is the minimum for each cycle. I thought I'd try to force some for next year and wanted to check the protocol.

Should it be --

90 days in the fridge.
90 days room temperature.
90 days in the fridge.
Room temperature until sprouts.

Or should it be --

90 days in the fridge.
90 days in the fridge.
Room temperature until sprouts.

Any insight or advice that can be given is appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Trillium Seed

They can be cleaned and stratified right away. After the first cold period the seeds will germinate and form roots. After the second cold period they will usually send up a single small leaf.

I have tried forcing them using a fridge and a growth chamber but didn't have much luck after the second cold treatment due to algae and mold forming around the pots. The challenge was keeping them from drying out for all that time and in hindsight a flat would have been better than individual pots. The success rate was much higher just planting them in the field and waiting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trillium seed propagation

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here