Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djscrapbooks

?? lady slipper and what's this vine?

djscrapbooks
15 years ago

First, I discovered 3 lady slippers at the edge of the woods where we never go. Could I transplant them to the other side of the yard (same conditions) so we can enjoy them? Or will they die?

Also, I have this thorny vine that I just discovered flowers on (never noticed them before!) The thorns are tiny, there's 3 leaves, and this stuff is all over the woods edge and now by the driveway. Can someone help me identify it? Thank you in advance for any help you can offer :)

Comments (11)

• amelanchier
    15 years ago

The second one looks like wild strawberry of some kind, it's difficult for me to say which species.

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

I would be reluctant to move the lady slippers. Most of the time they decline after about 2-3 years (post move) and fade away. They are very dependent on soil conditions.

I think the vine is "dewberry" which is something in the Rubus genus.

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

I wouldn't touch the ladyslippers. Can you still enjoy them where they are? They are finicky. I have made a point to go places that I might not normally go, if I know there is an beautiful plant to see there. :-)

• djscrapbooks
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone for your help!

I thought I remembered reading something in the past about not moving lady slippers, that's why I asked :) I can't really enjoy them where they are...I guess I'll just have to cut back some saplings so I can see them. Right now it's all overgrown where they are. I went looking for them because I discovered one last year. This year I almost missed them because the saplings have grown so much!

And, looking at dewberry on google looks exactly like what I have as well as the description! Again thanks! The lady slipper will stay where it is and I'll have to take a few more jaunts to that part of the yard to enjoy them :)

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    15 years ago

OH this sounds like an opportunity for a secret garden, a path wandering to the slippers. With surprises tucked in here and there along the way. Maybe cut the saplings back and create a small clearing, add some other native gems to the area, and a log bench to sit on and enjoy it all.

Jenny P

• djscrapbooks
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jenny P, it's funny you mentioned a secret garden! I was planning that on the other side of the yard and that's where I was hoping to move the lady slippers to :) I started clearing an area of saplings, about 20 feet back into the woods to a large boulder. I was going to put some of my hostas in there, and a few other things, and set up a spot to sit. Currently there are plenty of ferns and lily of the valley, I just wanted to add a few more things. I also discovered 2 more lady slippers on this side of the woods but still not close enough to enjoy them in this area! I'm hoping more will be discovered as I clean up the pine and oak saplings :) I'll post pictures as I make progress! Thanks again everyone!

• bernadette_gourder
    15 years ago

About your lady slippers. I have a couple myself and I have transplanted them quite a few times over the past years. They are fragile, much like Trilliums, however you can pretty easily move them early in the spring. I suggest that if the soil is pretty hard, you water them a bit. However, if it is pretty easy soil to dig than keep the Slippers limp, much less chance of them breaking during transportation. Of course water them a lot when you get them all settled into their new home. Hope this helps!

• cynandjon
    15 years ago

Hi djscrapbooks
    Im curious, do your lady slippers grow under white pines? The way I understand it from attending lectures is they are symbiotic with White pines, and a fungus that grows in an acidic enviroment. They must have specific conditions to grow.
    In Pa they are rare and on the endangered list. You are so lucky to have them, I only ever seen one in my life time.
    treasure them as a gift from mother nature.
    cyn

• djscrapbooks
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well cynandjon, we have a TON of pines, along with some oaks here. I don't know the difference of all the pines but they have weak branches and soft needles if that tells you :) The lady slippers are beautiful! I wish there were more closer to the woods edges so I could enjoy them. Where these 2 batches are located they are very hidden!

• myrtle_59
    15 years ago

White pines have 5 long needles in a bundle. Think one needle for each letter of the word white.

If I moved the ladys slipper I would take a lot of soil with it from the old site and try to find it a site that looks as much like where it came from as possible. If you alter the original site by adding a lot of sun or whatever, they might have an affect too.

• cynandjon
    15 years ago

Hi Myrtle
    even taking the soil isnt a guarentee that they will live. They usually perish after a few years. Maybe LS bought from a nursey would fare, but I dont think wild ones will.

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus