Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
heart shaped plant

Posted by plantnut65 none (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 13:21

over the years I have collected wild plants to go with my regular flower bed, but before I transplant them I want to know if there's a problem and the name and description of the plant, what the flowers looks like, and how big the plant will get. This a shade plant ,will it grown in semi-shade?
Thanks for any help identifying this little guy or girl.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dagger shaped plant

this little plant is also a shade plant, the dagger shape is only during the first month or so, then the point starts growing out and the handle pulls in giving the plant a normal looking leaf

o
RE: heart shaped plant

first looks alot like viola - violet. the other looks like something i should know ; )

i have found the best place to post for identification is the name that plant forum (see link)

Here is a link that might be useful: link to name that plant at garden web

o

The top may be violet, the bottom looks like sheeps sorrel.

o

ACK. The bottom one is sorrel. Run far, far away. Run like the devil himself is on your tail. I'm currently INFESTED with it. Called it Devil Weed for years until I found out what it was. I've had all kinds of invasive plants and eradicated them. This stuff is the bane of my gardening existence, it will survive the apocalypse along with the cockroachs.
Then it flowers...and you have 10 quadrillion microscopic seeds.

o

nutmag4061 you are so right about what it is. The small plant is called sheep sorrel a herb that is centuries old, see http://essiacfacts.com/health-benefits-of-the-sheep-sorrel-herb/ I guess if you cultivate it and let it grow it suppose to get big lettuce like leaves that are used as a cure all for all kinds of stuff

o

(AnnieDeighnaugh) and (bubbleoffplumb) thanks so much, still working on the heart shaped plant, have some new pictures of some I transplanted. Can wait to see how big they will get and for them to bloom. after googling both the names given by Annie Deighnaugh and following the picture files I'm sure

o

still pretty sure the heart shaped plant is viola- violet

you can also check google images ; )

Here is a link that might be useful: my flickr set - viola sororia

o

Definitely one of the violet family. You will have to let it bloom to see which one it is. And beware as they can also become invasive.

Sandy

o

Definitely violet and sorrel instead is killing the sorrel eat it as a salad green I have lots of violets here but they are not a problem for me! Violets are edible too! Many weeds to some are edible and delicious. I think eating the weeds is the best way to control an " infestation" if more people knew kudzu is edible perhaps the plague in the south could be controlled!

o

we have violets running wild at my house. luckily our 'yard' is ex pasture and not fancy schmancy sod. lol
i always feel like a jerk when i pull it up, but it can obviously take care of itself!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here