Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oak tree dead or shocked?

Posted by Dianne.1950 North Carolina (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 1, 13 at 14:10

We had a very large oak tree prunned in the fall, now it is not showing any signs of growth. I have been told they trimmed it to close and it is dead to if under the bark is still green the tree may have been shocked and will return next spring? Help, I do not want to lose this tree, but I don't want a dead tree in my front lawn.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oak tree dead or shocked?

Well, this is puzzling. If the tree has not shown any growth, then it is probably gone. Tree won't take a year off.

Oak trees are hard to kill. I have tried to kill some of oak seedlings and they always come back. I had to dig out the roots.

o

Can we see pictures of this tree and the pruning job?

o

Do you have Sudden Oak Death there yet?

o

Oak trees are not even close to being the slowest growing trees on planet earth. Some species of oak can grow very fast, particularly those in the red oak group.

Regarding the OP, pics of the pruning job might help us determine how bad the situation is. When you say it is showing no signs of growth do you mean that it hasn't put out any leaves yet?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here