Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant Identification

Posted by fenix409 5 - North Michigan (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 21, 09 at 14:11

I've recently started a garden and was thinking of incorporating native plants into using cuttings, or possibly transplants. I took a walk around the fields and woods near the house and took pictures of some of the plants I'd like. I noticed quite a few I didn't know the names of but was able to identify a few (like the tartarian honeysuckle that's in abundance around here - which is an invasive species I guess), but a few still allude me. I was wondering if anyone could help identify the following plants:

This was growing everywhere, it's a shrub, 3-5 feet high, no flowers, stiff, almost waxy leaves, and odd shaped berries that are still green.

Shrub1
And the berries (possibly buds?):
Shrub2

Then there was what appeared to be a shrub, but was actually several short plants in a cluster. I was thinking young beech trees, but was told beech trees don't get flowers, and this plant had flowers.
Trees?
The flower

Lastly, there were a few of these flowers growing near some burdock, but I didn't think they were burdock flowers.
Flowers

Any clues? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant Identification

The second one is Prunus virginiana, or chokecherry

The last one might be Cynoglossum officinale, or Hound's Tongue.

o
RE: Plant Identification

lycopus - Thank you so much. The second one is definitely hound's tongue. We have dogs and burs are a real problem--now I know where they're coming from! I just went out and cut them all down, including the burdock they were growing near. I'm hoping this will also help the raspberries they were growing around get more water, less competition.

I've never heard of chokecherries growing in this area, but if that's what it is I'm excited--I'll make jelly! I'll definitely try to get some cuttings to grow to plant in my garden. Again, thanks for the info!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here