Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trillium41

ladylsipper dilemma

trillium41
18 years ago

Hello Everyone! I need some opinions. My mother-in-law lives in a wooded area and has pink lady slippers in her yard. Each spring and fall she rakes the woods bare of any leaf/organic matter. I have tried to explain that this breaks down and provides food for the plants, but she's not going to change. The colony of 20 or so plants had dwindled to 6 or so over the last few years. Should I try to do anything to save them? Is it worth trying to replicate the conditons at my home and move some? I know that it very hard to do successfully, but it's really sad watching this happen.

Comments (8)

• Iris GW
    18 years ago

If she is willing to let you take them and you have a woodland area yourself that is similar to the conditions they like, then I'd say move them.

• Trilliophile
    18 years ago

You can try to move them, but good luck. They do not like to do it. We had to move some here for construction, about 5% survived. If you do it, do not break the root tip. Use a pitch fork and not a shovel.
    t

• macranthos
    18 years ago

And wait until fall when they are dormant. They can have a root radius of 1ft or more.

• Iris GW
    18 years ago

If you are going to wait until fall, be sure to mark them now. I moved 5 last year due to impending development. I dug wide (12 inches all around) but not too deep (they are not deep) and took extra amounts of the surrounding rich soil with me. Of the 5 plants, all 5 returned and 4 of them bloomed (energy from the previous year, I guess). These were moved before they went dormant.

Next year will be the test of how well they like there new home, I think.

• kwoods
    18 years ago

Check the ph of her soil and compare that to the ph of where you want to move them to first. Acidic, fast draining, moisture retentive (though acaule doesn't need it as much as other slippers) soil, I still would not move all of them.

If she's raking in spring she could be braking off the new growth rather than causing some more fundemental change in their enviornment. Send her on a cruise next spring and see what comes up. How long has your MIL been raking that woods anyway?

• peoniesaremyfave
    18 years ago

I hope this isn't too late. Lady Slippers actually need a virsus that is in the soil they are growing in for survival. So if you don't live in about the same area (town, county or even state) do not even bother. Unfortunately that is sad that your MIL doesn't recognize what little treasures she has.

Lady Slipper have a huge and very fragile root system, so if you do pull one up, chances are you have ripped away the roots. I also think you may want to check with your State/County Agriculture Department. In most areas of the country it is illegal to pick the poor things, even if you are trying to save them. Good luck!

• macranthos
    18 years ago

Hi Peonies,
    Just to clear up some common myths:
    The genus Cypripedium does Not require a virus (nor a mycorhizal fungus, which is probably to what you are refering) to live. Orchid seed is so small that most (at least) genera require an initial fungal parasitic/symbiotic association to germinate, but once they have leaves that will produce energy via photosynthesis, they no longer Require thier symbiont!

Second, unfortunately you are wrong about the legallity of digging. As long as they are on private property (which is the case here), they can be dug with only the land owners permission. Public land is, of course, much different.

Best,
    Ross

• vjhale
    18 years ago

Friends bought 15 wooded acres near us last summer. This year they called to say there were yellow flowers coming up and come see if I know what they are. I was amazed to see at least 100 yellow lady's slippers growing in about a 2 acre area with smaller pockets of them all over. What a beautiful sight!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH