Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sleeprlegend

Working on Neglected property on Lookout Mountain

sleeprlegend
16 years ago

Hello all,

6 months ago I found a piece of property on Lookout Mountain. I have spent the last 6 months removing the vines, leaves, rocks, sticks, etc. from the yard area because no one has even raked here in over 2 years. My short fescue seems to be doing well, but I have reached the limits of my knowledge.

This property is burried down in the mountain on 3 sides. The trees are well over 30ft. tall and covered in vines. With this combo I get very little direct sunlight. How do I calculate the proper amount of water to put down based on my little sunlight? I already have some fungus.

I also have a very steep hill that is covered in vines. What is a good plant to use that will compete with the Kudzu? Anything the can live in almost no direct sunlight and withstand high runoff would help.

I hope to learn a lot here, and be able to give back!

Comments (8)

• cynandjon
    16 years ago

I spoke to an arborist about my trees and he told me that trees are healthier when they have air circulating around them. He said people dont like to cut down trees but if they are to crowded it actually is detrimental to them.They become weaker and are susceptible to diease.
    So my suggestion would be to thin out the trees. The kudzu wont be able to go from one to another so easily. Also If you cut the vine at the bottom, the top growing on trees etc, should die. maybe some kind of Weed killer around the bottom would be benefical. Im not big on weed killer but kudzu is a major invasive.
    Good luck.

• sleeprlegend
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the feedback!

I am working very hard to not remove any trees from my property. The property was developed as the home for the designer of Rock City, but the owners of the largest piece only visit a few times a year. I have been cutting the vines off the trees with great results, but then spring hit. Those vines grow over 6 feet a week now. A friend has a plant that competes with Kudzu, but she is not sure of the name.

• cynandjon
    16 years ago

maybe an arborist would be the way to go, to get his/her opinion. An arborist would be able to tell you the condition of the trees from the stress of the kudzu.
    Im not sure another competing plant is the answer unless its native and wont damage the enviroment.

• sleeprlegend
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Is this something that an environmental engenieering firm could do? My sister works for ch2m hill, and they will be sending a team up here to help me stop the new runoff created by a new development right on top of my house.

What does it take to start an invasive plant program?

• sleeprlegend
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Is a local college a more appropriate place to source an Arborist?

• cynandjon
    16 years ago

You could try the college but the phone book would probabaly do. Most tree services should have an arborist.You could also contact the local enviromental/conservation center, they should be able to direct you to someone. They may even have someone on staff.

• sleeprlegend
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hmmm... I will talk with some locals to see who they use. I am lucky to have a private college 1 mile away, and to be surrounded by national park. Those two could provide great resources.

• cynandjon
    16 years ago

My gosh if you have national forest someone around there should be able to give you advice. We have the enviromental & conservation centers which work with the national forest and state game lands.
    Never hurts to ask, I would ask anyone that will answer. I would also google it for my area, there might be some sort of task force like an invasive species group that can help.