Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new plant to identify

Posted by jillmcl 6 Ozarks (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 12, 11 at 17:48

We have a plant growing in deep underbrush on the north west glade of our SW MO land that we can not determine. The leaves are all single on single slightly brown stems with hairs. The leaf is in three distinct parts rather like a clover in shape but not separated into three leaves rather one large one measuring about 3" wide and 2" deep. I can take pictures and post them if needed. In the meantime are there any ideas?
Thanks, Jem

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new plant to identify

Would need a picture to make a positive ID, however it might be a species of Desmodium or Lespedeza

o

I am having difficulty uploading pictures as they are too large. I don't know how to make them smaller without losing too much resolution. I can upload to my Facebook but I don't know how you could see them without friending me. Any ideas? I will tell you that the leaf is almost covers my opened four fingers so is very large for Lesbedeza which we have on our farm for our cattle. This plant is in deep shade.

o

Here are the links to the pictures on Photobucket

[IMG]http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae261/jillmcl/100_6113.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae261/jillmcl/100_6115.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae261/jillmcl/100_6117.jpg[/IMG]

o

Looks like round-lobed hepatica.

For future reference you can copy and paste the html code for your images from photobucket and they should show up in your message.

o

You are absolutely correct and thank you very much. I think this is the Hepatica Americana. The Missouri Flora website lists it with pictures. We know that the slope where we found these has patches of blue flowers in Spring but we missed seeing the leaves. The only reason we had to be on the slope was to remove an enormous red oak that had fallen on the fence line after our recent storms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here