Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fenix409

Poison ivy vs. Rubus

fenix409
14 years ago

While checking out the wild raspberries and blackberries that are growing in abundance around our area (Upper Peninsula of Michigan) I noticed what I'm really hoping is NOT poison ivy. From a distance it looks very similar to the rubus species, but then I realized it was growing on a vine. However, after some research I saw that Rubus ursinus can grow on a vine, so I'm wondering if other species of rubus grow on vines and how to tell the difference between these and poison ivy.

The vines I saw were long and trailing, light green and hairy, however the base of the plant was a woody stem with prickers on it (not root-hairs used to attach to trees). The leaves were trifoliate and opposite, not alternating. I did not see any young, reddish leaves. A few of the leaves did have the mitten appearance, though not all of them. {{gwi:1354444}} is a picture of the leaves.

So I guess three questions really: is this poison ivy? Which species of rubus grow on vines? And how can you tell the difference between them and poison ivy? Thanks

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting