Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karen_mcgaffney

woodland cransbells

karen_mcgaffney
19 years ago

Anyone have these in their shade or woodland gardens? How do they differ from the traditional johnsons blue, and other types of hardy geraniums..What color are they? are they called cransbell maculata??or something like that

When do they bloom? before the hostas emerge?

just need to know so I can plan where to put

thanks

karen

Comments (12)

• jcsgreenthumb
    19 years ago

Hi,

I am not very familiar with the non-native geraniums, but the native ones have a lavender/pinkish bloom (the shade seems to vary some year to year). They have a very bushy habit, maybe 2' in height and width. They are very showy in bloom, so I would put them somewhere where they can be easily seen. They started blooming probably a month ago for me, so I would have to say they emerge before the hostas. They can also take quite a bit of sun as mine get some midday sun but full afternoon sun.

Jeanne

• vbain
    19 years ago

Cranesbills are generally small, and called cranesbills because the seed pod is long and comes to a point, like a crane's bill.They have very divided leaves, and tend to grow in little clumps. They are a geranium, but don't look like the perennial garden ones, or likethe blue ones mentioned above.

• david_5311
    19 years ago

The native "cranesbill", the wild geranium of eastern north america, is Geranium maculatum. It is a common to abundant woodland plant throughout the deciduous woods of eastern NA, and one of the relatively few woodland wildflowers which compete moderately well with even invasive non-natives. It is very easily cultivated, and will often seed fairly readily in habitats it likes. In cultivation, it gets to be a good-sized plant (small???), easily 2-3' across and 30" high in full bloom. There are white flowered selections (G. maculatum 'album'), and some colored leaf forms too (Espresso).

There are other woodland geraniums too (we are talking here about the genus Geranium, not the annual/tender cultivated "geraniums" which belong to the genus Pelargonium). One of the best is G. sylvaticum, the European counterpart of G. maculatum. It needs bright shade or even part sun. Excellent color forms range from pink to white to rich blue, one of the very best is 'Amy Doncaster' with rich blue, white eyed flowers. G. phaeum, the 'mourning widow' is an excellent plant for dryish shade, very long blooming, with flowers generally dark burgundy or purple, but with many different color forms. The plant 'Samobar' belongs to this species. It has attractive (to some) burgundy blotched foliage, but beware of its tendency to become an aggressive seeding, noxious weed. Other forms of G. phaeum are less agressive seeders. G. macrorrhizum is an excellent shade plant which makes a great groundcover and also tolerates very dry shade. A last really worthwhile woodland geranium is G. wallichianum 'Buxton's variety'. It blooms from July to October with rich blue, white-centered flowers, but will not likely thrive south of the northern states or the maritime west, since it needs fairly cool summers. A newer hybrid of this species, Rozanne, however, is much more heat tolerant. It thrives in part shade and is one of the best new perennials to come along in years IMO. Would look right at home in almost any bright woodland garden. Sterile, so will not spread.

• david_5311
    19 years ago

In most of zone 5, in OH and southern MI anyway, Geranium maculatum will bloom from early to late May. The hostas will be emerging or have just fully opened when these plants reach their peak of bloom.

• mollyjenning
    19 years ago

I love these plants---Do the deer eat them? Thank you, molly

• susan6
    19 years ago

Deer don't like them because they have a decided scent to them.

• Barbaraga
    19 years ago

I find they do better in leaner soil. In good soil, the foliage is bushier and the flowers don't show as well. Also, it is a prolific self-seeder in rich soil. Otherwise, a very nice plant.

• karen_mcgaffney
    Original Author
    19 years ago

You people are wonderful..thank you for all the info..Where could I get some for my woodland??
    thanks again:)
    your friend in Ohio
    karen

• Alice Johannen
    18 years ago

Come to my garden -- I think I have tons!

• arcy_gw
    18 years ago

I have what I have been told is wild geranium through out my woodland garden. It flowers lavender and is beautiful when in bloom. It has a very shallow root system that is web like and thus has the ability to choke out other plants. It is very invasive. I love it where it is but have been told I do not want it in my yard! it is not fun to dig out and try to get rid of.

• Elaine_NJ6
    18 years ago

Wild geranium has shallow, thick, fibrous roots. It has a rather small root system. I guess technically it's a rhizome. I would think this means it's adapted to shallow soil and to growing around tree roots--which makes sense. As the plants get bigger, the root gets longer. You can dig them up, break them into small pieces, and plant each piece. I certainly would not describe this plant as invasive in any way. It spreads very slowly. It is highly adaptable--I've got in everywhere from almost full sun to full shade, and it blooms everywhere, although most abundantly in sun, of course.

• arcy_gw
    18 years ago

Yes, Elaine this sounds like what I have. I have not had any trouble with it being overly invasive, I just got that comnent forom tne wife of my boss at the green house. I guess City dwellers would not like it in their grass. My, I love it as a filler. I love anything that blooms in my shadey scape!!

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville