Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vaykay2000

Moss covered area - looking for iplanting deas

vaykay2000
19 years ago

I am looking for a plants(s) that will grow well where there is now a mossy area> Of course you know by the moss that it does not get much sun and it does not seem too moiset but it must be for the moss to remain

I am looking for easy or low maintenace plants or shrubs to grow there

Thanks in advance -

I love this site!!!!

Comments (10)

• Greenmanplants
    19 years ago

Why not have a moss garden! At least for a portion of it.

Remove all else and just go for different mosses.

I've only seen one once but it looked spectacular.

How much rain do you get? What's the soil like?

Seriously though Ferns would probably be great in that environment. All the standards listed here in other chains, polygonatums, smilacinas, disporopsis, podophyllums, trilliums, they're all low maintenance if they're happy in their environment.

Cheers Greenmanplants

• joepyeweed
    19 years ago

ferns are good - also hypatica, jack in the pulpits, shooting stars, wild ginger.

• lycopus
    19 years ago

If the soil does not seem moist it might not be. Constant moisture is not a requirement of all mosses.

• Cathy_S
    19 years ago

What else grows naturally in your area? We've had good luch moving things from the woods into our gardens. Do you have wintergreen growing in your area? It's low maintenance; ferns that are native to your part of the country should also do well. Also, violets, ajuga, Solomon's Seal, May Apple; you could add snow-drops for spring. Hope this helps

• joepyeweed
    19 years ago

another thought - large rocks look great in a mossy area along with ferns and other native woodland plants. especially if you can get the moss to grow up on to the rocks. there are some homemade mixtures you can create to spray on the rocks to promote the moss growth. do a search on the web - or probably even this site and you'll find it.

• kolagirl
    19 years ago

Myrtle,myrtle, myrtle...

• shadowgarden
    19 years ago

I think buttermilk is good for moss. Spring beauties, trout lilies, bloodroot, wild onions, rue anemonie, cutleaf toothwort, wild garlic, healall, wild basil all good shade plants.

• vegangirl
    19 years ago

I have a mossy area under a small grove of ironwood trees right on a creek bank. Also growing there (and they came up on their own so I know they like it!) are red trilliums, sedum ternatum and trout lilies. The sedum looks lovely in spring with its white star-like blooms shining out from the dark green moss. I also have the sedum in a spot that gets some sun. The plants in the shade are quite a bit larger and last longer.

• vegangirl
    19 years ago

I mean the flowers last longer, not the plants!!

• flowersandthings
    19 years ago

I too love mossy gardens...... Martha had a whole special on it..... stewwart..... that is....... the moss grows all over...... I cultivate moss whenever I can..... you swap mossess with different people and develop a moss garden..... mosses look especially nice with ferns...... and some spring white flowers.... maybe like tiarella ?????? white looks nice with moss..... also trillium........