Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chicago311

plant ID not wild geranium!

chicago311
11 years ago

I bought this plant on ebay from a seller stating "WE ARE A LICENESED NURSERY IN TENN AND HAVE BEEN IN THE NURSERY BUSINESS FOR 50+ YEARS" under the name of geranium maculatum. This was what i wanted to buy, geranium maculatum. however, the plant in the picture was what i recieved. i see wild geranium in the woodlands near me,and it does not look like this, or what i THOUGHT was wild geranium. after confronting the seller, they said they dont know what it is and "thought" it was wild geranium. who is wrong here? thats not wild geranium is it??? does anybody know what it is???

Comments (11)

• mosswitch
    11 years ago

Looks like a weed (wildflower) that grows in my woods, never bothered to find out the name of it. It tends to be a pest, reseeding all over the place and the flower is inconsequential. I keep pulling it out. But definitely not wild geranium.

Sandy

• Iris GW
    11 years ago

I think you should let it grow a little longer before deciding to toss it. But it is not Geranium maculatum, I agree.

• chicago311
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm not tossing it quite yet. I have 5 of them in pots temporarily until I can find out what it is and where to plant it. I'm working on a woodland garden.... But this might not even be a woodland plant.

• arcy_gw
    11 years ago

Anyone have a picture of their wild geranium?

• fatamorgana2121
    11 years ago

Growing in my "woodland" garden...

FataMorgana

• rbrady
    11 years ago

The plant looks to me like Pachysandra procumbens-a native groundcover. I agree with esh, keep it in the pot for a while before tossing it.

Rhonda

• Tiarella
    11 years ago

Looks like jewel weed aka wild touch me not. The seeds can pop quite a distance and may have contaiminated their pot.

• chicago311
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't think its jewel weed. I've seen those before. Those are annual. What I have has some kind of a rhisome. It does look like Pachysandra procumbens. The mystery may be solved. Thanks. I guess I won't know for sure until next year if it flowers.

• Eleven
    11 years ago

I have lots of Geranium maculatum and am even trading some next week. Sorry no pics right now, and I tried to include a link that had pics but evidently DG is completedly banned from here. Oh well.

Did the ebay seller make right on the sale and give you the correct plants? Sure hope so!

• chicago311
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The seller sent me replacements. Sent some rhisomes with no leaves so they really could be anything....again...

• fatamorgana2121
    11 years ago

You can get G. maculatum from many different places. If you end with not what you were expecting again, choose a known and quality vendor. Prairie Moon is a wonderful choice. I included the Geranium maculatum link below - they even show what the root looks like.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Prairie Moon Nursery