Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plant ID not wild geranium!

Posted by chicago311 none (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 16, 12 at 22:21

I bought this plant on ebay from a seller stating "WE ARE A LICENESED NURSERY IN TENN AND HAVE BEEN IN THE NURSERY BUSINESS FOR 50+ YEARS" under the name of geranium maculatum. This was what i wanted to buy, geranium maculatum. however, the plant in the picture was what i recieved. i see wild geranium in the woodlands near me,and it does not look like this, or what i THOUGHT was wild geranium. after confronting the seller, they said they dont know what it is and "thought" it was wild geranium. who is wrong here? thats not wild geranium is it??? does anybody know what it is???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plant ID not wild geranium!

Looks like a weed (wildflower) that grows in my woods, never bothered to find out the name of it. It tends to be a pest, reseeding all over the place and the flower is inconsequential. I keep pulling it out. But definitely not wild geranium.

Sandy

o

I think you should let it grow a little longer before deciding to toss it. But it is not Geranium maculatum, I agree.

o

I'm not tossing it quite yet. I have 5 of them in pots temporarily until I can find out what it is and where to plant it. I'm working on a woodland garden.... But this might not even be a woodland plant.

o

Anyone have a picture of their wild geranium?

o

Growing in my "woodland" garden...

FataMorgana

o

• Posted by rbrady 5/Eastern Ia (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 22, 12 at 14:41

The plant looks to me like Pachysandra procumbens-a native groundcover. I agree with esh, keep it in the pot for a while before tossing it.

Rhonda

o

Looks like jewel weed aka wild touch me not. The seeds can pop quite a distance and may have contaiminated their pot.

o

I don't think its jewel weed. I've seen those before. Those are annual. What I have has some kind of a rhisome. It does look like Pachysandra procumbens. The mystery may be solved. Thanks. I guess I won't know for sure until next year if it flowers.

o

• Posted by Eleven Michigan 6A (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 26, 12 at 13:41

I have lots of Geranium maculatum and am even trading some next week. Sorry no pics right now, and I tried to include a link that had pics but evidently DG is completedly banned from here. Oh well.

Did the ebay seller make right on the sale and give you the correct plants? Sure hope so!

o

The seller sent me replacements. Sent some rhisomes with no leaves so they really could be anything....again...

o

You can get G. maculatum from many different places. If you end with not what you were expecting again, choose a known and quality vendor. Prairie Moon is a wonderful choice. I included the Geranium maculatum link below - they even show what the root looks like.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Prairie Moon Nursery

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here