Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Re: need help with couple of plants( identification )

Posted by tomasincas Pennsylvania (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 10, 06 at 22:40

Hi, new to this forum....I have a small piece of woodsy area along side of my house...grass wouldn't grow there...to many trees in this little area...so, I am trying to plant shade tolerant plants and noticed there are several native types there that I can identify..the Jack in the pulpits,solomon seal,trillium , trout lily and Virginia creeper ,etc.When I started to look over the ground more closely I noticed what looks to be a single leaf fern type of plant..there are about three of these plants..they are about three inches in size..all having just one leaf...they are about one half to one inch high off the ground...also there are these arrow shaped leafy plants scattered about the area about 8 inches high off the ground and another type of plant has leafs that are deeply lobed and grows to about 1 1/2 to 2 feet tall...the last two are probably weeds but I have looked at a lot of leaf sites and cant find them...Sorry i dont have any camera to put pictures on the web...thanks just new at this....Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Re: need help with couple of plants( identification )

For the fern, compare yours to Rattlesnake Fern.

Here is a link that might be useful: Botrychium virginianum

o

Could the deeply lobed plant be "Bloodroot"? If so, not a weed IMHO.

Barb
southern Ontario, CANADA

o

By the way, Tom, sometimes you can scan a leaf and use that as a picture instead of a camera.

o
RE: Identification help

To knottyceltic and esh ga, my daughter came over and she brought her digital camera , I tried to photgraph a few of the plants in question..she will take them back home and put on her computer and E-mail them to me...I'm not sure , but i'll try and get the pictures either put on this site or forward them to both of you...the little fern as I mentioned is about 3 inches long..I put a quarter along side of it to give it some scale..its thicker than regular fern leaves..it almost seems to be an evergreen..it didn't appear to die off in the winter..never heard of a one leafed evergreen tree...as I said it is about 1 inch of the ground...I have about three of these still left..thanks Tom

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 12, 06 at 15:37

Deer fern and christmas fern are two evergreens found in z5.

Not hart's tongue or walking fern is it ("single leaf fern type of plant")? They are usually in colonies.

walking

hart's tongue

Deer

christmas

Shot in the dark, lots of ferns.

o

Tom sent me a picture, the fern is a grape fern, probably botrychium dissectum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here