Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tami58_gw

My new garden

tami58
15 years ago

Hi all. I am new to this site, but I am so glad I found it. There is a wealth of information here! I've never had a woodland/shade garden before & I am learning that this type of gardening is a whole different ball game. But I just love it. The garden is so much more interesting & relaxing. I love trying to find plants that encourage wildlife to visit my home. I get so much pleasure from having the wildlife make my home theirs. I feel like I am trying to live in conjunction with nature instead of fighting against it. One of the first things I did was have my home certified by the NWF. Now I am researching plants that will support the wildlife that I love.

Here are some pics of my efforts so far. Any feedback or advice would be appreciated.

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y197/tami4gsd/Deckserenitygarden007.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y197/tami4gsd/Deckserenitygarden008.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y197/tami4gsd/Deckserenitygarden009.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y197/tami4gsd/Deckserenitygarden010.jpg[/IMG]

Comments (8)

• mbuckmaster
    15 years ago

Here you go:

Beautiful work!

• tami58
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Buckmaster, thank you so much for fixing this for me!

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

Be sure to consider native plants, they are the best at sustaining native wildlife.

Very pretty!

• well_drained
    15 years ago

Looks like a great space with lots of opportunities.

Just some advice I've gotten over the years:

Visit wild places near you with a field guide and identify what native plants live there already, particularly those that provide food and shelter for wildlife. (Be sure to take into account sunlight exposure and moisture level to match to your site.) Then find a local supplier of seed or plants and purchase your plants. Before you plant, remove as many invasive species as you can (sometimes this is a project of many years) (multiflora rose, buckthorn, asiatic bittersweet, garlic mustard, Japanese knotweed, etc.). Design a gently curving pathway that leads through the woodland and has one or more "destinations" (doesn't just wander aimlessly) - could be a bench, or a specimen tree or shrub. Plant in odd-numbered irregularly-shaped clumps - largest plants farthest from the viewer (in house, on path, etc.), smaller plants closer. Don't try to do everything all at once - go section by section - this is a long-term project, and that's a good thing. Water carefully for the first year - after that, the natives shouldn't require much more maintenance (although you'll have options: deadheading, seed collecting, dividing, removing unwanted reseeds). Be patient - it may not look all that full the first couple of years (don't mind the gaps), but just wait - you'll be amazed.

-- wd

• bob64
    15 years ago

How much land are you working with?
    For inspiration you can read "Noah's Garden" by Sara Stein. For some more inspiration and also some how to advice you can read "Planting Noah's Garden" by Sara Stein. There are lots of other things to read as well but these are some of the most enjoyable.

• tomasincas
    15 years ago

tami58,like well drained said,I rid most of my Multiflora rose and 85 percent of garlic mustard ( thats a tough one if you have that )and you have to keep up on that one every year,but it gets easier and poision ivy is another one.I didn't see any of that in your photos unless you got rid of it allready ,I placed flat creek stones for a pathway in a couple of different directions throughout.This also helps when I need to water as I dont step allover things.It looks as if you have room to expand if you so decide. We placed an arbor and park bench in our little area and of course a bird bath.will try and send picture or two...Tom in Pa.

• tami58
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the great suggestions. It is my goal to put some pathways through the property. One area is just carpeted with beautiful ferns & I would like a path leading to that. There are several areas that I would like to start some new gardens & have a path leading to them.
    I have almost an acre & other than the land right around the house & my sand mound, the rest is wooded. There are lots of ferns, wild raspberries, solomon's seal, wild grape vines, & yes some areas with lots of poison ivy & oak. I have been working on getting rid of the PI. It is at a more controllable level, but I don't think it will ever be gone.
    Some of the invasive plants you guys are talking about, I have never heard of. Where can I find some pics of these plants so I can identify them?
    Tom your garden is beautiful and lush. I just love it. Thank you so much for letting me see it.

• offplumb
    15 years ago

here's a site of common nasties (see below)
    - there are others out there, but this is great for starters.

keep up the good work!

Here is a link that might be useful: weeds gone wild

Sponsored