Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
varigated goldenrod

Posted by maifleur 5b-6 MO (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 10, 09 at 0:43

Posting here rather than the native plant group because I would like to know if others have a varigated form. Four years ago the driveway was resurfaced and the next year one of my goldenrod plants started to become varigated, 1/2 of plant. I did not see anything eating the seeds so thought was sterile. This year about 6 feet away have found several seedlings so my supposition was wrong.

Three years ago I started noticing several plants in my travels that were showing stripping and blotching. My friend that creats varigated plants for a sideline was not impressed and told me the varigation was common in goldenrods. Does anyone in this group have the varigated form in their woodlands?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: varigated goldenrod

There are at least a couple of varieties for sale in nurseries. The one I have is solidago flexicaulis variegata or variegated zigzag goldenrod. I think your friend may be correct in saying that variegation might be common in the goldenrod family. By the way, my variegated plants produce some (or all?) normal green plants when self-seeding.

Here is a link that might be useful: solidago flexicaulis variegata

o
RE: varigated goldenrod

Since this is a non-planted plant I do not know what kind it is other than the branches reach 6 ft+ if I do not cut down to 1/3 size. Long slender leaves with much more splashing of color on them. This year as I stated I have small plants coming up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here