Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
big huge bush I.D.

Posted by smokey27 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 28, 05 at 1:47

I have 5 acres in western wa, all of my property is covered with a "bush"/small tree thats about 15 feet tall and the trunks are about 4 inches in diameter, there is about 5-10 trunks per "clump" the leaves and trunk look like red alder but they're not. the wood is super dense. I cut one off 4 feet up from the ground it was about 3.5 inches in diameter and it had 16 growth rings.

what are these?

thanks, Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: big huge bush I.D.

We need more info

Are the leaves opposite or alternate, toothed or smooth, lobed or entire. Are the leaves round, oval, long, egg shaped or heart shaped? Is the base of the leaf heart leaved, plain or does it have extensions unto the leaf stem? Do the leaves have petioles (little stems) or attached directly to the stem? Are the leaf veins netted or parallel? Are the leaves hairy? Is the stem hairy? Are there any thorns?

o

the leaves and trunk look like red alder

o

I'm not familiar with red alder, but your description of the tree, and its location being in PA, leads me to think of Autumn Olive. That tree was one of several shrubs heavily distributed by state agencies (none of which is taking any credit, now, for doing so) in the 50s and 60s; those plants are now taking over much pasture land in the sate. See http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/elgum.htm for some info and pictures. If the plant is really Autumn Olive you do want to get rid of it, a difficult task. The trees sprouts readily from the stump and the fruit is loved by birds, which, of course, readily spread the seed. I have read that the fruit is quite delicious but I have never been able to get to tree and get some before the birds get to it. And at this point I'd rather be rid of the tree.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here