Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
montyhound

Sequoia problem

montyhound
12 years ago

Hi there.

I live in central England and, about 5 years ago, planted a Sequoia Wellingtonia / Giganteum sapling which was about 18" high and obtained from the plants for sale section of one of the UK's most famous arboretums ( Westonbirt ).

I planted it in good soil in an open paddock and surrounded it with a wooden cage incorporating chicken wire and some hessian sacking for protection against rabbits and the wind and it has been growing at more than 1 foot per year ever since and is now about 7 feet tall.

About 2 years ago, a dark brown spot appeared on the growing tip of the main leader and on the tip of a slightly lower side shoot at the end of the winter and further growth ceased at these points whereupon a side shoot grew to become a new leader and has since put on about 18" of vertical growth.

Since the beginning of this spring, the tree put on about 9" of new vertical growth whereupon 2 side shoots seemed to break ( they just flopped down ) at the points where they had grown from the sides of the main leader and the new growth of main leader itself suddenly flopped over too about a month later ( I have since supported it with string and a cane ).

I would be grateful for any advice on what the problem might be and whether I can possibly treat and cure it.

Sponsored