Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Austree

Posted by wdenton07 MI (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 11, 11 at 8:28

Hello
I heat my house with a wood burning stove

The county is cutting down all the trees that are by the power lines and I have the opportunity to get about 30 austree's

Would these be good for burning in the woodstove?
I looked and I cannot find a BTU rating for the wood anywhere.

Thanks in advance
If this is the wrong forum please tell me and I will repost.

I usually am at the vegetable garden forum.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Austree

I just had to look up this tree since I have never heard of it! It appears to be a hybrid of several willows but originally from Australia, hence the common name. I found the below on the web. I am sure you can check more sites reference to burning these trees, but based on what I found, you would be taking a risk.

"When it comes to selecting firewood, wood that comes from willow trees is among the least desirable of all firewoods. Willow produces a low amount of heat and burns very quickly compared to oak or maple firewood. Using willow in a stove can lead to a buildup of creosote in the stove pipe that can cause a chimney fire."

Read more: Is Willow Tree Wood Good for Burning? : eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_7979941_willow-tree-wood-good-burning.html#ixzz1RnnAfZSV

o
RE: Austree

thanks

I just found that they are a willow tree also.
According to the btu chart i just found will is rates at 14 so if I let it dry really well I will try and burn it and see how it goes.

If it burns poorly or too quick I will use it for campfire wood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here