Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
darryl_va

Need evergreen understory tree/shrub

Darryl_VA
19 years ago

Hi all, I am looking for your advice for a specific situation.

I have an area in my border where I would like to plant a shrub/tree that to block out an eyesore view. It's kind of hard to explain, but the part I'm trying to block is already blocked up to 5 feet above ground by fences and shrubs. I'm trying to block the region that goes from about 5 feet above ground to 10/15 feet above ground.

Therefore, what I want to plant should not go much higher than 15 feet tall, with a spread of hopefully not much more than 10/15 feet wide.

I am looking for something evergreen to provide 4-season privacy.

Other considerations:

* I live in Northern VA (DC suburbs), Zone 7.

* Shady area, under tall trees, therefore only a couple of hours of dappled sun per day.

* Soil gets decent drainage, little standing water, moist, some clay but soil is improving with leaf litter working its way down over the years.

* I am hoping to plant something that will support wildlife, maybe a plant with berries.

I was thinking of mountain laurel. I like Juniper but I'm afraid it will grow too tall. I'm not a big fan or arborvitae, althogh its shape would be perfect (but I think it may need more sun).

I was thinking about a dogwood, but I'm concerned it might be too shady(?) back there and I would not get as much winter privacy.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Darryl

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County