Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arcy_gw

Actea Rubra, Red Baneberry

arcy_gw
16 years ago

A few months ago I was asking for help identifying a volunteer to my woodland garden. I think I found it. Red Baneberry! I am excited to have a name. I sure love this plant. I looked but found very little information on it on the web. Anyone have experience with it? Anything I should know. I read the berries are poisonous and it is natural to the north, but that is about all the information I found.

Comments (6)

• waplummer
    16 years ago

My berries have ripened and they sure are dramatic. The berries are indeed poisonous hence the bane in the common name. It is also known as red cohosh. The other baneberry is Actea pachypoda, common name of doll's eyes or white cohosh. I have the rubracarpa form of this with reddish instead of white fruit.

• arcy_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It is such an attractive plant. The white flowers in the spring, it looks like a little maple with those leaves and now the deep bright berries. Too bad they are not edible to some woodland creature.

• knottyceltic
    16 years ago

They may well be edible to some creature, after all, poison ivy berries are a staple food for many birds here in southern Ontario but you sure wouldn't catch me making jam or pies out of it. ;o)

Barb
    southern Ontario, CANADA

• knottyceltic
    16 years ago

This is from a USDA forest services website:

Red baneberry fruit is consumed by several bird species including the yellow-bellied sapsucker, American robin, wood thrush, gray-cheeked thrush, brown thrasher, gray catbird, and grouse [50,81]. Some small mammals also eat the berries including deer mice, white-footed mice, red
    squirrel, eastern chipmunks, and redbacked voles [50,81]. Several species of birds that use baneberry eat the fruit but void the seeds, while some of the small mammals remove and eat the seeds leaving the the pulp

Barb
    southern Ontario, CANADA

• well_drained
    16 years ago

I know something eats our Actaea rubra berries - they're usually all gone by mid-September. So I guess it's only poisonous to some species (including Homo sapiens). Makes sense - if nothing eats the berries and then spreads the seeds around, why take the trouble to make berries in the first place?

-- wd

• arcy_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank-you so much for the information. I am elated that they are not as poisonous as I thought. If anything could be harmed I would feel guilty for liking, and growing the plant.! Happy News!

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations