Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Morus Nigra or Morus Alba?

Posted by gardenwebbie 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 11, 06 at 13:16

I live in Toronto (Zone 5) and I have been thinking about planting mulberry tree in my backyard. Between Morus Nigra (Black Mulberry) and Morus Alba (White Mulberry), does anyone know the trees (dis)advantages from one another? Is it worth it to pay $129.99 for Morus Nigra when I can get Morus Alba (Pendula variety) for $75.99?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Morus Nigra or Morus Alba?

I hate to say it, but I would recommend you getting the native Morus Rubra. I don't know anything about Morus Alba or Morus Nigra to help you out, but if you get an itty bitty Morus Rubra, eventually the birds will love you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Forestfarm

o

You mentioned you're in toronto, where did you find the mulberry trees at? I'm having a hard time finding anything but the umbrella at most nurseries.

Thanks!

o

You can find a number of different varieties of mulberry trees at Rainforest Nursery. Gardenwebbie, I'm your neighbor across Lake Ontario from you. Since we enjoy eating mulberries so much, I planted both a "Wellington" and an "Illinois Everbearing" a number of years ago and both have done quite well with good-sized fruits. I know Illinois is a alba x rubra cross but I'm not sure about Wellington. I would expect both to be hardy for you. If I recall correctly, Wellington is a variety from the Geneva Research Station (also located here in Western NY State), making it a good bet for our weather.

I've also got a couple of very tiny M. rubra but it will be years before they produce any fruit. I got them from Musser Forests (in Pennsylvania). I love ForestFarm (west-coast) but the east-coast shipping might be a better bet for you plus they would be better hardened to our type of weather.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Raintree Nursery

o

Morus Rubra have been some of the most successful saplings (18" or smaller) that I've planted in the last year. Most everything else was demolished by the drought or the incompatible soil conditions or whatever. I wouldn't plant $100 trees. I plant $2 trees. The $100 trees suffer transplant shock and won't grow for many years - and may not grow any faster in the long run than the $2 saplings, as cruel as that sounds. You just need to plant more of the $2 saplings because a certain percentage will die in the first couple years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here