Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Serviceberry--groundcover and plantings underneath?

Posted by Bioteach44 none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 27, 13 at 15:48

Hi everyone! I planted a beautiful 8 ft serviceberry in my yard this spring in northern Indianapolis. It seems to be doing well, and I am now trying to research what to plant underneath the drip line area.

In terms of the site, it is certainly part shade, only receiving a few hours of sunlight a day. Most serviceberry I see are sunny spots where wildflower perennials can be grown beneath it, but I don't think that will be true for me due to the lighting. We are also on fairly heavy clay soils, and I also very much love native plants and wildlife plantings.

I have various types of mint that I am hoping will spread over time; however, what are some other good shade options that will look nice? I am open to flowers, grasses, sedges, etc.

Thanks for the input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Serviceberry--groundcover and plantings underneath?

Oh Geez, will that mint spread:O Trouble is getting anything else to grow near it. I would suggest planting for birds in your area.
Serviceberry is a wonderful tree for birds. If you get up early enough, you can make a decent jam with it as well.

o

The mint is planted in underground pots. So, hopefully, it will spread to fill them and then be somewhat contained.

The birds and wildlife are the reason that I planted the serviceberry. We had several new bird species in the backyard this year once the berries were in!

Suggestions on what part shade plants the birds will like?

o

How about wild Ginger, Asarum canadense. This native plant makes a beautiful ground cover. You could interplant some spring wildflowers such as Trillium, Virginia Blue Bells, trout lilies, etc.

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here