Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rue has corms/bulbs?

Posted by leaveswave (MN z4) (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 16, 07 at 16:25

I found several small plants in the woods and the leaves look like a rue (thalictrum) to me. The plants are growing in rather dry full shade, are only about 6 inches tall, and are native & hardy in zone 4, Minnesota. I was surprised to see small corms or bulbs at the base of the plants, under the soil. I've not noticed anything like that with my full sun, tall meadow rue. Is it a true rue or an imposter?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rue has corms/bulbs?

Can you post a photo of the foliage?

o

Unfortunately, no.

For each plant there are 1-5 stems coming out of the ground. Each stem separates into three. At the end of each of the three "stemlets" it divides again into three. At the end of these there is a leaf. So a total of 9 leaves per stem. The leaves are a light to medium green and smooth not hairy. They are oblong in shape and not serrated but there are two very slight indentations so technically I guess it is lobed and the magic number three shows up again. No sign of flowers or seedheads.

The site has been disturbed; it's a woodlands area that has been overrun by buckthorn and is now being turned into a city park. Heavy machinery has been through and some trees have been taken down and chipped up, the remains being strewn around the open area. I found these plants around the edges.

Does that help? Are there woodland rues that have very fleshy roots?

o

Thalictrum thalictroides has tuberous roots

http://www.missouriplants.com/Whiteopp/Anemonella_thalictroides_page.html

As far as Minnesota goes, there are only 5 species of Thalictrum.
http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=THALI2

dasycarpum
dioicum
revolutum
thalictroides
venulosum

You might Google images of the others to see if they tie in with your description.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thalictrum thalictroides

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here