Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
honeysuckle climbing the trees

Posted by mollyjenning z6CT (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 24, 07 at 16:41

I had seen a bit of the Japanese honeysuckle around last year, but I did not really worry because I read that it is a favorite food of the deer, and I figured the deer would take care of the problem.

However, this year it is starting to get much worse----There are tons of deer in the woods, and they seem to walk right past the honeysuckle--- I am afraid that the honeysuckle will strangle the trees.

Should we start pulling the honeysuckle vines, or will the deer eventually eat them?

Also, if we pull them, is it easy to get the whole root out?

Many thanks, Molly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: honeysuckle climbing the trees

Here in the south, Japanese honeysuckle is a huge problem (we don't have many of the shrub honeysuckles). I say forget the deer and take care of it yourself. It's not just that it will strangle the trees, but it will create more seeds and spread further.

I find it easy to pull them out after a rain (but problem is that I have SO much it is hard to make progress). You could try pulling as much as you can and then spraying any remainder that sprouts next year with brush killer.

In the south it is evergreen, so it is one of my "favorite" winter activities to pull it out when I have very little other garden work.

o
RE: honeysuckle climbing the trees

Japanese Honeysuckle is virtually evergreen here in NY also. Cut it, poison it, pull it, get rid of it. Don't depend on the deer. For whatever reasons, the deer don't seem to be denting it much (they seem to prefer whatever we have actually spent money on). Getting the whole root is tricky in that the vine spreads along the ground and can re-root in several locations along the way. It is easier after a rain. I would cut it out of the trees, pull up what you can and spray the rest.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here