Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tombraider

Need plant identification

tombraider
16 years ago

My son just bought a house in upper New York state in the Finger Lake region and everyone seemed to have tons of this beautiful white flowered wildflower everywhere as well as the most beautiful peonies I have ever seen quite often these were planted together.

I thought it was Queen Anne's lace but now in looking at Queen Anne's Lace here in NC, I realize that the leaves are entirely different. I took some pictures of the plant in my son's yard and put a slideshow up here

Can anyone ID it for me?

Picture below:

{{gwi:1354831}}

Comments (5)

• anitamo
    16 years ago

Not sure what it is, but I found a link to queen anne's lace look a likes. It compares a few different plants to queen anne's lace. Hope it helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: look a likes

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

It would help to see some closer picture of the foliage (it looks like picture 2 in your slideshow is the best shot of the foliage, but it is a bit distant). As anitamo says, there are others that look like it, including Angelica which doesn't always get flower stalks as big as shown on the look alike page. That would be my best guess at this point.

• tombraider
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yeah, I know, I wish I had taken closeups of the foliage, but at the time I was CONVINCED it was Wild Carrot (Queen Anne's Lace). Even a neighbor up at my son's place said they called it "Wild Carrot" but when I got home to NC I saw that the leaves of QAL are COMPLETELY different.
    You can see the leaves in the background of all the pictures and they are large oval leaves with serrated edges.
    The QAL I have here has lacy fringy leaves like a carrot plant - COMPLETELY different and it has ONE solid head of flowers on a stalk with a speck of red in the middle versus several diffuse stalks of florets in the New York state wildflower.
    I was hoping someone lived up in that area and could identify it. Just about everyone had tons of them in their yards and they were all along the roadbeds and creeks - just gorgeous. They were really striking in the beds of amazing peonies everyone seemed to have in their yards.
    This is Spafford/Preble area in the Otisco Valley.
    Thanks for the help.

• carol23_gw
    16 years ago

It may be Aegopodium, Goutweed. Hopefully it wasn't because this is an invasive plant. Local plant sales won't allow this in any potted plant donations.
    It's one of a few plants I would never intentionally introduce to my garden.

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=AEPO

Here is a link that might be useful:

• tombraider
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, that looks exactly like it. Thanks, Carol. Hey, invasive is just another word for "it grows great". It sure was beautiful all over the area. They just cut where they don't want it to grow, I guess.
    I also noticed "invasive" white roses up there which were blooming beautifully in almost solid shade with no sign of disease. On the other hand, I have had a Darlowe's Enigma for 5 years which gets about 20 blooms a year on it (if that) in partial shade and is covered with white mildew!

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus