Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtgirl_wt

leaves on my lobelia cardinalis are yellowing

dirtgirl
15 years ago

I set out some exceptionally vigorous-looking cardinal flower plants about two weeks back, and I think I am losing a few of them and I'm not sure why. The site is perfect, very moist yet drains well, in sun for about 4-5 hours and then afternoon shade, and the soil is totally purchased mix due to our heavy clay soils being really hard on anything, despite the fact that I strive for natives. Of five clumps of plants, one died completely and two others are acting similarly...with dark green foliage slowly being replaced by yellow streaking and wilting off of lower foliage. ALmost like damping off but the leaves rather remind me of exposure to the family of herbicides that do their thing by restricting photosynthesis. THe other two plants show no sign of this decline and all are trying to send up flower spikes.

I use no chemicals and hand-pick pests, and I did notice an unfamiliar beetle, about 1/4- 1/2 inch long, shiny black and narrowly cylindrical with a cherry red head on several of the plants a week ago. It was a rather beautiful creature but I'm still unsure what it was and wonder if it might have transmitted a wilt/blight?

Just wondering if anyone has had similar experience with leaf-yellowing/streaking and eventual dying in previously healthy and well-positioned plants.... I plan on calling the nursery where I got them Monday, but I think I will lose two more by then.

maybe take pictures ?

Comments (2)