Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowersandthings

Linnea borealis ???????

flowersandthings
19 years ago

Has anyone grown this beautiful little native plant....... ??????? linnea borealis ??????? Here's a link:

http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/galleries/linnaeabore.html

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Comments (11)

• david_5311
    19 years ago

I have not grown it myself but have seen it many, many times in the wilds of northern Michigan. A classic plant of the boreal forest, and to some extent, the transition zone between the boreal forest and the eastern deciduous forest. It is a delicate beauty, in the upper great lakes, found with Cornus canadensis, starflower, fringed polygala, and lots of rare orchids. It is primarily a plant of acid organic soils, and is commonly found growing over rotting logs covered with moss.

I would think the great problem for you in cultivating this plant would be summer heat. Unless you are in the mountains where you are, it seems unlikely that it would tolerate the warm summer temps. But that is a guess from knowing it in its native habitat, not from having grown it.

• flowersandthings
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Linnaea borealis is supposed to grow all over the northeast.... including new jersey maryland and delaware..... it is supposed to be endangered in my state though so I would like to grow it....... :)

• franeli
    19 years ago

I've seen this in the wild only once during my 10+years of hiking at about 4000 feet in the White Mnts of NH. Very tiny flowers,
    1/2" here in the Whites,blooming end of July.
    Are seeds or plants available for Linnea Borealis?

• ginger_nh
    19 years ago

Yes - look for plants from Van Berkum's Nursery in Deerfield, NH. They are small year old plants in black 2 qt square pots at many garden centers in New England. VB's is a small wholesale nusery specializing in the propagation and sale of New England woodland plants. I just planted a flat of VB linnea borealis for a client last month.

Where are you in NH? I am in the Lakes Region.

• franeli
    19 years ago

ginger, thanks for the info on the twin flower! I had no idea that there was a place in NH that propagated woodland plants. Somehow, I always thought it was only Garden in the Woods in Framingham, Mass.
    I'm in the hills of Lyme and have a camp in Center Sandwich.

• aka_peggy
    19 years ago

Oh my...I was in Deerfield last weekend. My best friend just bought a beautiful old house right in the center of town. I didn't know about this place and apparently neither does she. I'll be sure to let her know.

• ginger_nh
    19 years ago

Franeli-
    E-mail me if you need any help obtaining twinflower.
    G.

• aka_peggy
    19 years ago

Unfortunately Van Berkum's Nursery only does wholesale:( Or at least that's what their site says.

• ginger_nh
    19 years ago

True, but you can ask them about a retailer in your area who carries their plants. Or you can find a nursery, garden center, garden design/install business, or landscaper to obtain the plants for you.

• plantfreak
    19 years ago

Many sources are out there! Here's a link to a nursery in MN. The plants cost $6.99. PF

Here is a link that might be useful: Source

• aka_peggy
    19 years ago

Thanks for the link PF. I thought it would be nice tho that my best friend in the whole world lives in Deerfield AND there's an awesome native plant nursery there too. Oh well, I guess you can't have everything.

But I'll ask her to pay them a visit nevertheless, sounds like an interesting place.

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions