Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Linnea borealis ???????

Posted by flowersandthings MidAtlantic 6/7 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 30, 04 at 17:57

Has anyone grown this beautiful little native plant....... ??????? linnea borealis ??????? Here's a link:
http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/galleries/linnaeabore.html

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Linnea borealis ???????

I have not grown it myself but have seen it many, many times in the wilds of northern Michigan. A classic plant of the boreal forest, and to some extent, the transition zone between the boreal forest and the eastern deciduous forest. It is a delicate beauty, in the upper great lakes, found with Cornus canadensis, starflower, fringed polygala, and lots of rare orchids. It is primarily a plant of acid organic soils, and is commonly found growing over rotting logs covered with moss.

I would think the great problem for you in cultivating this plant would be summer heat. Unless you are in the mountains where you are, it seems unlikely that it would tolerate the warm summer temps. But that is a guess from knowing it in its native habitat, not from having grown it.

o

Linnaea borealis is supposed to grow all over the northeast.... including new jersey maryland and delaware..... it is supposed to be endangered in my state though so I would like to grow it....... :)

o

I've seen this in the wild only once during my 10+years of hiking at about 4000 feet in the White Mnts of NH. Very tiny flowers,
1/2" here in the Whites,blooming end of July.
Are seeds or plants available for Linnea Borealis?

o

Yes - look for plants from Van Berkum's Nursery in Deerfield, NH. They are small year old plants in black 2 qt square pots at many garden centers in New England. VB's is a small wholesale nusery specializing in the propagation and sale of New England woodland plants. I just planted a flat of VB linnea borealis for a client last month.

Where are you in NH? I am in the Lakes Region.

o

ginger, thanks for the info on the twin flower! I had no idea that there was a place in NH that propagated woodland plants. Somehow, I always thought it was only Garden in the Woods in Framingham, Mass.
I'm in the hills of Lyme and have a camp in Center Sandwich.

o

Oh my...I was in Deerfield last weekend. My best friend just bought a beautiful old house right in the center of town. I didn't know about this place and apparently neither does she. I'll be sure to let her know.

o

Franeli-
E-mail me if you need any help obtaining twinflower.
G.

o

Unfortunately Van Berkum's Nursery only does wholesale:( Or at least that's what their site says.

o

True, but you can ask them about a retailer in your area who carries their plants. Or you can find a nursery, garden center, garden design/install business, or landscaper to obtain the plants for you.

o

Many sources are out there! Here's a link to a nursery in MN. The plants cost $6.99. PF

Here is a link that might be useful: Source

o

Thanks for the link PF. I thought it would be nice tho that my best friend in the whole world lives in Deerfield AND there's an awesome native plant nursery there too. Oh well, I guess you can't have everything.

But I'll ask her to pay them a visit nevertheless, sounds like an interesting place.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here