Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weeping Willow Pruning Question

Posted by vasko (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 21, 09 at 18:19

I have a bunch of branch sprouts at the base of the trunk--am I supposed to trim these or leave them? See photo below. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weeping Willow Pruning Question

Trim back to trunk. Your tree appears to be a grafted one and they are coming from your root stock. If you like the shape of the leaves etc you can try rooting one of the cut pieces.

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 22, 09 at 10:45

The picture is not great, but, from what I can see, it does not appear to me that the sprouts are coming from a rootstock. It looks like they originate along the entire length of the trunk. This could indicate some type of damage to the trunk. Does the upper canopy appear vigorous and healthy? If not, the tree may be suffering from some type of vascular disease.

o

Yes, the sprouts are along the entire length of the trunk.

Upon closer inspection, the upper portion of the canopy that has grown in the 2 years since I planted the tree is doing great!

However, in the lower portion of the canopy that was present when I planted the tree, there are a lot of small dead branches. Is that normal?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here