Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brendainva

Bishopsweed

brendainva
18 years ago

How invasive is bishopsweed? I have planted some in a dry shaded spot.

Brenda

Comments (10)

• dgower82
    18 years ago

If it is ageopodum(sp?) than it takes over fast. And you will probably find plants in various spots all over your yard from seeds. Only way I got rid of it was to dig out the entire bed. Go with something different, native stuff like Hystrix patula.

• aka_peggy
    18 years ago

Bishop's weed doesn't spread by seeds but it does spread aggressively by rhizomes. Just do a search here on gardenweb and read about the headaches caused by this innocent looking plant. It grows very well in dry shady areas and it's very difficult to get rid of once established.

• Dieter2NC
    18 years ago

Do not plant BW in your woods. Very, very invasive. Multiplies exponentially, but weed-b-gone or most broad leaf weed control will kill it with repeated applications.

• brendainva
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Argh! Will a lawnmower contain it?

Brenda

• Poochella
    18 years ago

NO, don't mow it. Carefully rip out as much as possible getting as many roots as possible. Repeat annually and you can nearly eradicate it. Use Roundup if you care to.

There was another thread on thugs recently and I posted I had successfully eradicated BW after 3-4 years from a perennial bed. Well, guess who I found poking up from the soil just the other day? ARGGGGGG

• bellevie
    18 years ago

I've been trying to get rid of this thug for 4 years. I've finally resorted to using Roundup on it. I would avoid planting it at all costs.

• jgaughran
    18 years ago

For what it's worth, I think it's a lovely plant. Depends on how much space you're trying to fill. I'd much rather have bishopsweed than many other weeds. If it knocks out the garlic mustard, I will be pleased.

• paalexan
    18 years ago

"For what it's worth, I think it's a lovely plant. Depends on how much space you're trying to fill."

Yup, if you want to fill your whole yard it's great.

Might not be as bad as some other weeds, but I sure wouldn't plant the stuff. May as well be planting garlic mustard.

Patrick Alexander

• jasonkay
    18 years ago

The variegated cultivar is better behaved, but it can revert to the species by seed, so the flower stalks should be pulled. I think there are better choices.

• zippo
    15 years ago

Can Aegopodium Podagraria Variegatum spread by seed??I know there Is websites that say It can however I'm asking this of personal observation, Have any of you that has this or that knows someone that has this seen it spread by seeds? I have been told several different things, such as
    1)It won't make any seeds at all since its variegatum and not the green species
    2)It will make seeds but there non fertile and won't germinate

So yeah I have been told very conflicting Info about this. So now have any of you "personally" seen this spread by seed?

Oh and I was also told that If It sets seed It's seedlings will be the original species and not variegated. Is that true?
    LOL help me anybody with this

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH