Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
problem with my redbud

Posted by carolagardner 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 8, 08 at 20:34

My @4 year old redbud, 11 ft. tall, has been doing beautifully
despite the inordinate amount of rain we have been getting this summer, south of Pittsburgh, PA. However tonight I noticed all of the leaves on only one branch are either totally wilted or dead and curled! The leaves on all of the other branches are healthy. There are some insect holes but not too many. I could not find any insects, either, or any damage to the branch itself. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: problem with my redbud

Is it the lowest branch on the trunk? Often that's the first to show signs or over- or underwatering. Either for newly planted trees can result in what you describe. Check under the mulch for excessive dryness or wetness...the soil should be slightly moist but not wet the length of your index finger. If it's dry, water; if it's wet, remove the mulch for a half day and let the soil dry out some. You may have to plant it higher or provide better drainage as well if that's the case. There are many posts on this in previous threads on this forum. Do a search and you'll learn a ton!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here