Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
penelope_gw

I'm Going Native!

penelope
16 years ago

Today I cleared a new area dedicated to 'native' woodlands. Well, it may not be that exclusive. I rescued a Jack-in-the-Pulpit from the bush hog. I think that I'll put the Solomon's Seal that I received in a trade there next.

I'm planting on each side of a fallen tree. The only undesirables that I had to remove were wild blackberries and Poke Weed. We mow on each side of this - so I guess I'm starting easy.

Overhead there are red bud trees and some grape vine that really lends a sculptural element.

Any suggestions?

Penny

Comments (6)

• bob64
    16 years ago

Not so sure about Kentucky but we are in the same zone (but I am close to border of Zone 7).
    A few possibilities to consider: blood root, mayapple, dutchmen's breaches, bluebells, squirrel corn, virginia water leaf, native irises, duck potatos for streams, spice bush, green and gold, ohio spiderwort, service berry shrubs, false solomon's seal, jacob's ladder, ferns, inkberry.

The poke is native but it can also be a hog for space so I understand why you nixed it. Blackberries may or may not be native but they can also be a pain.

• cynandjon
    16 years ago

I love the poke weed, the birds eat it. And we leave some blackberries. But I understand some people dont have much space.
    I love the grape vines.
    ITs nice your planting natives. Good luck.

• pondwelr
    16 years ago

Love Bob64s choices. I live in Wisconsin, and grow quite alot of woodland flowers in my backyard wild areas. I would probably add bleeding heart and hosta, even tho hosta isnt native. Columbine and Zizia, woodland geranium, some bulbs, and trillium and tons of jacks, mayapple, gentian on the edges. ooo, yes! Glad you are going native. Pondy

• mamaholly13
    16 years ago

I live in south western PA, I have a small woods area behind my house but it is full of weeds, water weed that is so invasive,and other ugly things. I was wondering if I could spray weed killer there, would it harm the trees? I havent seen anything worth saving back there, but would check again first. I would love to start a native woodlands garden there next year. I just love Jack in the Pulpet and other natives. Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

• penelope
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Recently I moved some May Apple roots over to my new space. I was thinking about collecting seeds when someone told they would transplant nicely - and they did. Still watching the seeds on what I think is a Green Dragon - I'll let you know.

Penny

• oakleif
    16 years ago

On the edge of your woods,you could have Joe Pye Weed and purple cone flower. Butterflies love the cone flowers. mine are blooming now.Queen Anns Lace is also pretty along the edge. I have violets,Rattlesnake plantain(which is really an orchid). I'd want a couple of dogwoods even tho they grow slowly. and black eyed susans along the edge. i have a lot of native ferns too.False Solamans seal,dwarf iris, and Virginia creeper and muscadines which may be a little much for you. I have a lot of woods.
    vickie

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery