Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Podophyllum delavayii

Posted by azngrnthumbs Zone 7/8 PNW (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 2, 06 at 22:47

Probably the most dramatic foliage plant for the woodland garden! This is just one of many clones I have growing in a nursery bed. They have done very well directly planted in the ground in well drained soil and mulched with fine woodchips over the winter. It gets part shade with supplemental watering and an application of both a slow release and liquid fertilizer.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Enjoy!

Riz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Podophyllum delavayii

wow looks great! i like interesting foliage --- especially for the shaded garden areas. does this do well in zone 5? i'm having trouble tracking it down on google.

thanks for sharing this photo!
--robbie--

o

robbie,

Try it with the spelling "delavayi" with one "i". You can also search for Podophyllum vetchii, a potential synonymn. These plants (and Sinopodophyllum, reserved for S. hexandrum, and Dysosma, reserved for other Chinese species) are very exciting, but people should be aware that in most cases the plants are acquired in a questionable manner. Some are exceptionally rare in the wild in China and are illegal to collect, but "nurseries" in China export them at low prices to importers here and abroad. It is nice to preserve them in cultivation but this is information that people should be aware of. Some have been hybridized and produced in marketable numbers via tissue culture in the US.

o
RE: Podophyllum delavayi

Oops, that was my bad! Just one "i" at the end!!

Yes, it's amazing how "common" these plants are now in the trade. While I was in China, Podophyllums were hard to find in the wild. I had to really keep my eye open in the deep forests where I'd spot one or two plants, but when you encounter a clump, WOW! I never got to see P. delavayi, so I'm looking forward to going back in the hopes that they all haven't been harvested from the wild!!

R

o

May you tell me what is the USDA zone of this plant ?
Thank you !

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here