Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowersandthings

Pics of your woodland? :)

flowersandthings
18 years ago

Any pics of your woodlands/garden? I'd love to see them. I also find shade takes great photos:

One spot of my garden (much is "wild" woods.... I'm just really foraying into "gardening" in the shade/woodland :) )

shady spot with lady fern, lamium, epimediums (just poking through at the bottom.... (just foliage finished bloom) in this pic) and a little bit of hellebore foetidus peeking/poking its head in on the right and azaleas to the back.

{{gwi:608174}}

narrow leaved mountain mint surrounded by other mints (menthas) they grow well in shade.

{{gwi:668527}}

Heuchera 'dale's strain'

The wild spots/woods:

Elderberry in bloom:

{{gwi:1354989}}

Comments (15)

• nonews
    18 years ago

Beautiful pictures. My woodland would have lots of English ivy. I'll try some pictures. Nancy

• Gardengirl
    18 years ago

I only have a couple pics of my woodland path in early spring before much was in bloom. But I do love my path. Your plants are lovely. Thanks for sharing!

Here is a link that might be useful: woodland path

• twosevenright
    18 years ago

Here's a couple of my "backyard". My woods backs up to a beaver pond, so is consequently subjected to the effects of the little varmits. I'd love to get rid of them, but they're protected by the state. I love walking around out there in the winter; no ticks, black fies, or other nastys.

{{gwi:1354994}}

• flowersandthings
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow that photo (the snow one especially) is beautiful! Alot of evergreens I see. Do the beavers ever cut down trees you notice? Very nice. :)

• twosevenright
    18 years ago

Yes, they cause unbelievabe damage to the hardwood trees. Pines, they leave alone. They don't like the taste of them.

{{gwi:1354996}}
    The above picture is damage to a very large tree that was up quite a distance from the pond. I guess they bit more than they could chew. This tree was over 60 feet tall and very healthy and stately; what a shame. Most of the trees they take down are under a foot in diameter. They go for the branches and tender bark and leave the trunk and major limbs alone. The trees fall helter skelter and are a mess to clean up. You can more fallen trees in the bacjground. Add to this the flooding of the surround terrain from their dam, and cleanup becomes quite a mess. I've given up on stuff that has fallen in the wet ground and concentrate only on the trees that are on terra firma and well above the wet land. My neighbor has lost about a third of her land to the ever enlarging pond.

• enchantedplace
    18 years ago

{{gwi:1354998}}
    Predominant plants along our stream are yellow water iris, jewel weed, green headed cone flower, lizard tail, rough leaf dogwood, golden ragwort. EP

• enchantedplace
    18 years ago

{{gwi:373385}}
    A predominant plant along our woods path in spring is spiderwort in several colors. EP

• flowersandthings
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Very pretty pictures..... very pretty spiderwort enchanted palace.:)

• too_many_pets
    18 years ago

Just one pic-still new at this! It's sideways!!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1354984}}

• knottyceltic
    18 years ago

LOVELY, LOVELY pictures. My question is to Flowersandthings...

Do you have to water your perennial plants like the coralbells and the lady fern?

We have a small woodland backyard, built in an old farm woodlot and the soil drains extrmely quickly. It's powder clay and sand mixture which, if not bad enough, is mostly sugar maple which suck the soil dry anyway. We've painstakingly been restoring our little plot to a "proper" and "natural" southern Ontario woodland seeking out regional native plants, shrubs and trees but we are finding it's very hard and time consuming work to keep it all watered. We found out the hard way that we can't let up on the watering when the dog days of summer hit. It should all come back next year but we lost a lot of stuff to dormancy early this year due to drought and heat. So I was wondering if you too have to water the plants you have planted in and/or around your woods.

Barb
    southern Ontario, CANADA zone 6a

• trisha_51
    18 years ago

how do you post the pics???!!! We read and read but can't figure it out! :( Must be something wrong with our brains. Hope not! :) I don't want to make a 'link', i want to post them in the message, like you and the others have. thanks

• enchantedplace
    18 years ago

Trisha you need to upload your pictures to an online photo sharing service. We use PictureTrail. link below gives directions. There are quite a few other serivices available. EP

Here is a link that might be useful: photo sharing

• vjhale
    18 years ago

TwoSevenRight - I feel your pain. We have a beaver lodge on our lakefront. The lake level dropped last year when the dam was rebuilt, before we knew it, the beaver had done the same thing to 2 dozen 60 foot birch trees. What a horrible sight! We wrapped about 70 birch trees with chicken wire to try to stop the damage, so they switched over to the Maples - but not quite so voraciously. I also mixed sand and paint together and slathered it 4 foot up on a stand of about 40 poplars several years ago, that also seems to work, but messy and I think the chicken wire is less noticeable. We are trying to share the lake with those amazing creatures - but they do make it VERY HARD!

• knottyceltic
    18 years ago

Last spring I started taking pictures to create a little animation so that I can see our progress. We have a bit of woods in our back yard but it's 3rd growth with a high canopy and no understory. As we've added things I've taken pics at each season change. It's quite funny to see the bird feeder pole move around and the addition of our deck this past summer but as I add frames I should be able to better see my progress. Here's what I have, starting in Spring 2005:

We just added some small shrubs and seedlings but they are so small you can't see them in the photos. Hopefully as they grow we will be able to see the progress in the animation.

Barb
    southern Ontario, CANADA zone 6a

• knottyceltic
    18 years ago

If my animation runs out by the time you got to it then hit "refresh" on your computer so that it will play again. I think it only plays 2 or 3 loops.

Barb

Sponsored