Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
offplumb

wanna peek?? garden in progress-imagination necessary!

offplumb
18 years ago

hello. I've been lurking for a while - figured it's time to show and tell.

I have a web page with a "garden in progress".

Originally I just wanted to clear some poison ivy so I wouldn't have to watch my goddess-in-trainings every move,

and be able to eventually wear shorts/short sleeves outdoors - at least in the area closer to the house.

after struggling with the PI, wild grape introduced itself - so I started to attack all the vines.

I'm just doing some clean up/path keeping and (hopefully) a little bit of planting.

I hope you'll be able to envision the place as I can.

Hard to tell from the photos, but there's potential there - I can feel it.

please feel free to offer some suggestions.

Thanks for peeking.

http://homepage.mac.com/bubbleoffplumb/woodland/PhotoAlbum19.html

(this link can also be found on "My Page")

Comments (12)

• EarlyBird_8
    18 years ago

It looks like a real labor of love. And I do love a woodland garden!

• Raney10
    18 years ago

Looks like you are off to a good start with walkways and the bench for resting is a must.
    I can see you have a lot of potential there and working on one area at a time it will soon become just what you dreamed.

I would be very careful with the ivy though as it can become very invasive and destroy shrubs and even trees in some areas.

Good luck and show pictures as you go.

Raney

• charlottev
    18 years ago

I looked and you are right. It has a lot of potential and a lot of hardwork. IT is quite a space. I am sure you will many years of enjoyable gardening ahead of you.

• ahughes798
    18 years ago

You have a great woodland garden in the making! If a garden was ever "done"....it wouldn't be much fun!

Seriously, I would consider getting rid of the english ivy. Yes, it's a great groundcover, but it will also eventually smother everything in it's path. and eventually climb up your trees and seed, thereby spreading the misery to everyone around you.

The wild roses you mention may be Rosa multiflora, which is also very invasive, and will eventually form a very tall and thorny thicket, and again smother everything in it's path. April

• flower_powergirl
    18 years ago

I love what you've done so far - it looks great! Renovating your landscape can be and exciting and rewarding experience. Here are a few tips, if you'd like them.

Consider taking out the ivy... unless you are willing to trim it vigilantly at LEAST once per month. Vinca or periwinkle is a good substitute although it can get out of hand as well. Japanese Spurge (Pacysandra terminalis) is a great shade area ground cover. It will spread moderately fast, but won't compete with the other plantings. It's not too picky about soil conditions and I'm pretty sure it will grow in your area.

Astilbes do well in shade, as will Sweetbox, which is evergreen and has fragran white flowers in VERY early spring. (Sarcococca hookeriana and ruscifolia).

There's lots of really cool ferns out there, too. Maidenhair ferns and Japanese painted ferns are my faves.

Use variegated leaves (you can find lots of hostas) to really brighten up especially darker areas.

Don't forget about garden ornaments... and feel free to be creative! These are the personal touches that will really make your garden your own. Flowering wintercurrent is a nice woodland plant that attracts birds and I've seen great results from birdbaths nearby them. Any type of container can be used as a flower pot as long as you can provide drainage.

Anyway... have fun and keep us all updated!

• Berlingo
    18 years ago

Afraid I disagree with April's harsh opinion re the English ivy. It does make excellent ground cover if that's what it's wanted for, and it's no great problem to cut back from areas where it's not wanted - at ground level with a spade and on tree trunks with secateurs. People panic unnecessarily when it climbs trees - it isn't difficult to just chop through the stem near the ground 2-3 times a year. On trees that are already dead or dying, it can be encouraged to grow up them to provide useful cover for bats, birds and other creatures.

Berl

• aka_peggy
    18 years ago

Berl, English ivy isn't a problem where you live but in many parts of the US, it's a noxious weed and it's very difficult to eradiacate once established. If you could see how it spreads and dominates entire landscapes you might change your mind. So often the birds spread it into woodlands where there is no one around to keep it in check.

Bubbleoffplumb, Your garden looks beautiful. Keep up the good work!

Here is a link that might be useful: See for yourself

• offplumb
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I had to post these more for myself - seeing progress of ANY sort kinda gives you the incentive to continue.

I haven't done any planting, but have cleared away some invasive stuff to allow for some natives to come thru.

walkway BEFORE (during, actually):

walkway AFTER

Here is a link that might be useful: More photos here

• echoes_or
    18 years ago

One day you will have a wonderful shady retreat. If you are having problems with the plants you are trying to get rid of coming back, you might consider lasagna gardening. Keeps the weeds down, actually you won't have to weed before doing this process and enriches the soil also. Just a thought. Would make you job easier also. Good luck.

• cschuess
    18 years ago

What do you know about jewelweed? I have a lot of it. They are pretty among the ferns. Love your start!! You'll have years of enjoyment ahead of you!

• loris
    18 years ago

cschuess,

wish I had jewelweed for its wildlife value.

bubbleoffplumb, nice yard.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center on jewelweed

• myloki
    18 years ago

The path looks great - you did a fantastic job! I love the hosta pathway, too. The woodland does have great potential and you are off to a terrific start! Your butler (cat at the servants entrace) is very handsome.