Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
benn_gw

Cleaning out Fencerow, Ideas?

Benn
18 years ago

Hi folks. I am cleaning out a fencerow between our house and the neighbors. We own the land. It varies in depth 10-20 yards. It is full of honeysuckle vine, poison ivy, russian olive, multiflora rose others I can't name. The row has many mature oak (unsure what type), maple and cherry trees. The edges of the row are grown up the worst. The center is more shaded. I would like to plant some shrubs or smaller bushes in the fencerow to fill it in. I don't mind trimming and watering a little bit, but I don't want plants that need a lot of TLC. Evergreens would be nice, but I wouldn't be bothered by leaves dropping. I was also going to plant a bunch of daffadil bulbs as well. Oh yeah, we have deer around too and they occassionally get in the fencerow. Any suggestions or past experiences for me?

Comments (4)

• karen_b
    18 years ago

I am going to watch this posting, I have two acres of oak & hemlocks that we've been cleaning out and am looking for shrubs to plant that won't be decimated by the deer. So far my list includes:

Verburnums (anything with berries)
    mtn laurel (already there), rhododendrons & azaleas
    dogwoods & redbuds
    ferns (whatever I can get my hands on free)
    holly
    douglas fir
    star magnolia (also foolish, but it was cheap)

I also just planted deer forage...hostas. I know foolish, but I love them and have a lot.

I also have solomon seal coming up and just planted some mountain mint.

What part of southcentral PA do you live, I live near South Mountain (the village), beautiful mountains.

Karen

• Benn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey Karen, I live just off of Exit 10 of I-83. Close to Lake Redman. You do have the beautiful mountains! I cleaned out more of my fencerow this weekend, and it looks better already. I have yet to plant a thing. I left several small trees go, mostly cherrys, a few oaks and even fewer maples. Still trying to gather information on plants that might work for this situation. I do have a small Redbud and 2 small dogwood (3 left of 11 from Arbor Foundation) that I think I will move into the row. I also have a ton of hosta that I need to split up. I greatly enjoy the birds, so I would like to plant trees/shrubs with berries. I might make some trips to local nurseries and see if I can get some sales or good deals. I think this will end up being a couple year project!

• christie_sw_mo
    18 years ago

My shade garden was an old fencerow too. It's mostly hedge trees (Osage Orange), a couple mulberries, and a couple black walnuts. You're lucky to have oak trees. Those should be good to garden under and probably the best place for your hostas rather than under the maple trees. The roots under the maples will try to choke out your hostas. I don't know if cherries are good to garden under but they should be very good trees for wildlife.
    SMALL TREES - I added a couple flowering dogwoods, a couple redbuds, a couple nannyberries which I'm going to try to prune into small multi-trunked trees and a hawthorn.
    SHRUBS - I planted lindera benzoin, viburnum dentatum, aronia 'Brilliantissima', Carolina Allspice, Hazelnut, and oakleaf hydrangea.
    PERENNIALS - I planted hostas, heucheras, hellebores, variegated Solomon's seal, woodland phlox, Dutchman's breeches, columbine, canadian ginger (needs a lot of water for me), daffodils 'Ice Follies' (sort of white), wood hyacinth, and probably forgetting some.
    I planted some shrubs along the fencerow back further where it's not part of my yard. I planted gray dogwood, wild plum, deciduous holly, more hazelnuts, and hawthorn.
    Also have some gray dogwoods planted on the other side of my yard in the sun and they are producing loads of berries.
    I don't have a deer problem at all on my land so I'm not familiar with what their favorites are. I'm sure it makes a difference how many deer there are and how hungry they are.
    Have fun.

• Benn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for you ideas Christie, I didn't think of perennials. I wasn't sure how they would do in the shade. I'll be looking to buy some plants/trees this weekend. Great suggestions! Benn

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH