Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ladyslippers

Posted by altoraMA 5/6 MA (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 2, 04 at 10:02

Hi,
Is there such a thing as a blue lady's slipper? If not, is there any type of woodland plant that can be mistaken for lady slippers? We have a small patch, but I don't know what the plant is exactly, looks like one, but the color is throwing me off. They are about to bloom, but the bud is almost lapis blue.
Thanks for any info!
Alida

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ladyslippers

There aren't any blue Cypripedium in the world. Do you have a picture?

Ross

o

Is it a wildflower or a cultivated plant? Describing the plant characteristics would be helpful for an i.d. My ladyslippers bloom in May every year.

Cheers!

o

I think that Alida had it ID'ed as a commelina species on a different forum.

o

Yes, it turns out that it is commelina something or other. Thank you for your help though!
Alida

o

The people at pinkladyslippers.com are the same B@$t@&)$ that have been selling these plants on ebay by the ten-thousands! They didn't lab propogate them and all their information is wrong on their ebay ad. We've already commented on the extreme shadiness of that particular operation at length on either this forum, the natives forum or the orchids forum (I forget which).

One of the funniest things is their price for a seed pod... $100 per pod for "seed pods with over 100-200 seeds each pod...." my oh my. Not only are there thousands of seeds per pod, but who said that the going rate is $100? I've seen entire pods on ebay go for $4, and some folks will send you seed for free to help conserve the genus!

Don't waste your time at that site. See the link for a listing of reputable growers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cyp growers

o

Hey nankeen, thank you for the conformation that was spinning around in my head Ithought they sounded too good to be true but always give the benefit of the doubt.I wasn,t trying to use altoraMa as a scape goat but to get other,s opinions are satisfying to say the least. Plus living in the same state we could be remote neighbors. Thanks for the info I am new to this forum so I was never informed,but I AM SCHOOLED NOW!!! THANK YOU nankeen we are interested in wetlands plants and native material, hope to here your imput on many related subject matter from now on AND once again thanks THANK YOU . I was gonna maybe purchase some plant material from well, Iforgot how you ranked them. NOTHO NANTUCKET

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here