Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kwoods_gw

Hail

kwoods
15 years ago

Yeah, you heard me.... HAIL!

Just had anything with broad leaves shredded by hail. All hostas, ginger, jacks..... shredded. Knocked down all the ferns and bugbane too. *SIGH*

Just needed to kvetch.

Comments (5)

• Ina Plassa_travis
    15 years ago

ouch. poor things...sounds like you'll be spending part of next week trimming torn bits :(

• kwoods
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks ChinaCat. Shredded all the redbuds too.

No, I think I'll just be looking at tattered leaves 'til everything goes dormant.

• razorback33
    15 years ago

Sorry to hear about you misfortune.
    You are wise to leave the tattered foliage on the plants, even though it may appear as a salad bowl, there are probably enough intact foliage to provide some energy to the plants, until dormancy or until new foliage emerges.
    You mentioned gingers, and I am assuming you are referring to Asarum(broad leaves). Most of the species are evergreen, so they should begin to generate new foliage fairly soon.
    I am trying to replace many Japanese species that succumbed to an untreatable fungal infection several years ago, but my 2 local sources(TC labs) have ceased production and disposed of their stock, due to poor market response.
    Do you have a favorite source, other than ordering them in lots of 25/per species, from a nursery in Japan? Have tried Asiatica, didn't work out, for me and some others I know.
    Thanks and sorry about your loss!
    Rb

• kwoods
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi RB,

thanks for the condolances. Weather happens, what are ya gonna do? Fortunately gardeners have the luxury of seasonal optimism. There's always next year. Still the goldenrods, gentians, asters, etc. to look forward to this fall as well.

I remember you posting a while back about a rare ginger. I don't collect ginger and only have canadense and two varieties of shuttleworthii. I also have some common asian noid that someone gave me. I do collect a lot of other stuff and so have loads of sources. I will keep ginger in mind in my "travels" and let you know if I see anything interesting.

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

IN my yard the hail damage blends nicely with the japanese beetle damage.

I've heard parts of New Jersey's crops were hit so hard with hail damage they will be claiming federal disaster assistance.