Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agurkas

Ridding property of invasive glossy buckthorn

Apollo S
9 years ago

Place we bought month ago has 1/3 acre of wooded land. Lovely old pines, some very very old oaks... and ground covered with glossy buckthorn. Spent several hours last weekend just trying to pull those out, but I barely could make a dent. So the question is:
Should I go the expense of renting a brush hog from Home Depot, or some kind of different attachment to a weed whacker would work? And since my 12V one died, I am planning on getting a sensible corded or gas one anyway.

Comments (3)

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

For more commercial-grade weed whackers, metal brush blades are available that might be your best all-around option. I've struggled on my tree farm with a push-style weed whacker and that thing is about done-or I'm done with it. Rough lumpy ground and wheels just don't go together, even if they are the bigger wheels designed (Supposedly) for such use.

Of course, the buckthorn will respond by bursting into new growth. Can you by any chance do an herbicide application, whether cut/treat-whereby you are dabbing a bit of concentrated herbicide on the cut stems immediately after making the cuts, or a foliar spray of the new growth as it emerges? The latter technique is easier, of course, but if there are good plants in the way, it can be well-nigh impossible not to hit a bunch of them too. Maybe I should back up: Foliar spraying is not easier, it's just that in situations like you describe, there can be so many cut stems to treat, it can quickly become futile, trying to get to them all.

Whichever tech you end up choosing, get back to us here, as there are additional pointers that can be offered. Good luck-I've done a ton of this sort of thing, and while it can be frustrating, the rewards can be great.

+oM

• Apollo S
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I would like to stay away from herbicides, since my daughter runs around in that area.

Trying to find a good more modestly priced string trimmer that is capable of attachements. Really would like to find corded one in gas-style, but looks like gas ones are just more dominant. Really don't want to deal with maintenance of gas ones, but might have to.

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

Yes, I think if you want a machine capable of handling such tasks, gas is going to be the best option. Speaking of which, I need a new one too! I'd been using a wheeled type of string trimmer on my tree farm property, but the wheels are not really helpful on this bumpy, uneven ground. In fact, I've broken both wheels'spokes by now, cheap plastic junk. So I too will very likely end up with a hand-held weed whacker, most likely Stihl or some other heavy-duty commercial make.

+oM

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012