Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
open woodland native suggestions

Posted by spmimi z6 (brooklyn) (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 26, 05 at 14:54

i've begun re-creating a woodland garden in the back of my city apartment. so far so good. but during this summer, i realized that one front section of the garden receives much more direct sunlight than i had first assumed. it's a good 4-5 hours of hot mid-day sun.

i do not want to plant "prairie" flowers here in order to keep with the ambience of a woodland. does anyone have any suggestions for a more open woodland type of wildflower that can take some afternoon sun?? please, eastern US native only.

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: open woodland native suggestions

What about penstemon, asters, green and gold, cardinal flower (red and blue), gaura (native to Texas), heucheras?

o

• Posted by spmimi z6 (brooklyn) (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 26, 05 at 21:21

thanks. i was also thinking lilium philadelphicum and lupinus perennis. i already have scuttelaria incana there. so any other ideas are welcome!!

o

Fly poison is another member of the lily family that you might enjoy (Amianthium muscitoxicum ). It has attractive daylily-like foliage. Another similar plant I discovered recently is Virginia bunchflower, also in the lily family (Melanthium virginicum). We discovered them growing on the same site here in Georgia and they are almost identical until they flower.

Black cohosh would work well there also.

o

• Posted by Pam_AA z5 Berwyn Il. (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 22, 05 at 13:34

There are a lot of plants that will grow very nicely in that situation. Some plants prefer it.
Bee Balms
Asters
Black eyed susans
Columbines
even some Milkweeds
The list can go on and on....
You can also use shrubs and small trees for more shade if you prefer.

Check out this web site, New England Wild Flower Society, they offer seed in the spring, and scads of information. I think they have plant sales at times too. Have Fun!

Here is a link that might be useful: New England Wild Flower Society

o

Some of the native herbaceous species I have in the sunnier portions of my Massachusetts woodland garden are: Erigeron pulchellus (Robin's Plantain), Fragaria virginiana (Wild Strawberry), Hypoxis hirsuta (Yellow Star Grass) and Lysimachia quadrifolia (Whorled Loosestrife). The star grass is a particular favorite -- it started blooming at the end of May and is still going strong in mid-September! I understand Anemone virginiana (one of the many species with the common name 'thimbleweed') is also a sun-loving woodland species, but I haven't been able to find a local supplier.

-- wd

o

you might also want to check out Ken Druse's "The Natural Garden" and successor titles. That one and The Natural Shade Garden each have chapters featuring city apartments or townhouses.
jg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here