Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Poison Ivy Trees

Posted by Semo z5 IN (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 9, 04 at 18:15

It is actual possible for poison ivy to become a tree? No vines but branchs of poision ivy. If this is possible are the trees to be treated the sames as the vines, meaning do not burn the limbs and avoid contact? I have 5 hugh trees that appear to be nothing but poison ivy. Yuk!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Poison Ivy Trees

Do you have a picture? There are many plants that look like poison ivy. While it is possible for poison ivy to grow as a low shrub, such types don't usually get over 4 feet high. Bladdernut and hop tree have leaves that are similiar to poison ivy. Can't think of any trees that get very big with trifoliate leaves though.

o

Box elder (Acer negundo) trees look just like poison ivy to me. See the link below for a photo.

Here is a link that might be useful: Box elder photo

o

Is the PI growing up a tree trunk or stump. Here in the North East it happens all the time. I see it a lot on wooden fence posts along farm fields that have been let go. Rural utility poles also become great columns of this scourge. Worse yet when it branches it also flowers & sets fruit. Of course most birds love the fruit & you know what that means, welcome to the garden. Ortho's Brush be Gone or Gordons Pronto Brush Killer works well at doing it in. Also if you have vines on a tree or back of the barn etc. Use an axe or machette to chop a minimun 2" piece out of the vine. If it is just cut and the two pieces touch, they will connect themselves, the sap will seal the ends together and continue growing.
Have a wonderful itch free rest of the Summer.
Frank

Here is a link that might be useful: P.I picks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here