Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Chokeberry

Posted by KimMac NJ (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 27, 04 at 19:02

I'm looking for red chokeberry and can't seem to find it. Does anyone know where I can get it?
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Chokeberry

The following companies are listed by the PA Hort. Society as retail mail order sources for Red Chokeberry (Aronia arbutifolia):
Greergardens.com
Fairweathergardens.com
Forestfarm.com
Beavercreeknursery.net
Tripleoaks.com
There are a number of wholesale nurseries in your area (NJ,PA) that list this shrub. I'm surprised that local nurseries don't carry them.
Rb

o

I purchased a very young - about 18" tall - red chokeberry from Bowman's Hill wildflower preserve 3 years ago. I planted it near the house to nurse it along. Now it is spreading and strong and ready to be moved - does anyone know how much light and space it needs? I have mostly part shade, one side of the yard is a woodland edge.

o

Have observed them in their native habitat, full shade and partial shade(morning sun) and in full sun. The ones in shade have flowers, but few or no fruit. (My experience in the garden, also.) Those that were growing in full sun were loaded with berries. BTW, birds don't eat them. It is a medium sized, suckering shrub and the largest I've seen is about 5-6 ft. tall. Very attractive in groups when the berries ripen. Mature plants can become quite leggy, not a problem for me, as I have them in a woodland, but if they are grown as a specimen plant, you may want to under-plant it(them) with a low growing shade perennial or grass.

o

Don't know what part of NJ you're in. It was kind of far for me, but I ended up buying an Aronia arbutifolia "Brilliantissima" at the NJ Botanical Garden Sale this spring. This time of year and even more around spring there tend to be sales sponsored by various arboretums and garden clubs. I think they tend to have more natives than most nurseries (some good advice I got from people on GW). I think I also saw one at one of the larger nurseries in my area (it might have been a different native shrub I had been looking for though) even though they dont specialize in natives.

I know there are fall events at the Morristown Arboretum and at Rutgers. Probably many other places too.

o

I heard the birds eat them as a food of last resort. I wouldn't know, because mine never has berries :-(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here