Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bleeding Heart

Posted by bernadette_gourder 5 from Newaygo, MI (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 24, 09 at 20:57

I bought a Giant Bleeding Heart from Jung's this spring, planted it, and it grew like crazy. The flowers were beautiful. Now, however, it is all yellow and it look like it is dying back. Is that what they do or is there something wrong with it?

Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bleeding Heart

That is what they do normally. Where I used to live they died back. Now I have one that blooms continuously until frost. I didn't save the tag, so don't know the name of it, but it looks just like the other ones I had.
It is planted alongside the house, facing NE.

o

My bleeding hearts are dicentra spectabilis. I have a red and a white variety, both planted this summer. Neither have died back yet to my surprise! They are in moist clay under a large tree canopy and they have barely yellowed. Our summer has been fairly mild though. I think the shade and the moisture keep them green.

But my neighbors have a specimen in their front yard that is heavily mulched and near the street. It is yellow and terrible looking- just too exposed I think.

o

Mine always die back once the heat really sets in. They come back just as big and beautiful the next year. I just make sure there are hosta and ferns to fill in the bare spots. I doubt you did anything. I have mine in almost full shade to help them last as long as possible.

o

Phew! Thank you - I was hoping it was something along those lines. It looks like perhaps a little too much afternoon sun and I have it in sandy soil, so perhaps not moist enough.

Curious, how do you propagate Bleeding Heart? Do cuttings work?

o

Yes, cuttings in early spring, as the new shoots emerge do work. They typically include a small part of the woody crown as a "heel".

Root cuttings are also possible.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here