Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cow Parsnip

Posted by sajbelj1 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 12, 09 at 22:36

We have this woodland plant in our yard. I have young children and I'm concerned with the fact that the plant could cause skin reactions. Is this a plant that's something I should be cultivating? I enjoy the plant but we're in the middle of a subdivision and not out in a woodland setting. We have a very shaded area and I'm in the midst of trying to catalog what's here but I'm not sure this is one I should save. Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cow Parsnip

The plant will only cause a reaction if they handle the plant and then spend some time in the sun. The chemicals reduce the natural barriers to UV light that are present in the skin, essentially causing a sunburn to occur in a shorter period of time than normal. Are your children old enough that this can be explained to them? Given how robust cow parsnip is, it is pretty easy to identify and avoid but I can understand not wanting to take a chance if they are very young.

o

My children are 2 1/2 and 16 months old and we're adopting another infant in December so I'm afraid I have many more years of kids who won't be able to understand not to touch something. I love the plant but I'm afraid given all the research we'll have to take it out and replace it with something a bit more small kid friendly. Thanks for the feedback.

o

You could put a small fence arround the plants if you like the look. When your children are older you can remove the fence. A group of about 4 old doors painted wild colors by you and your oldest would corral the plant for now and if you could find on the street very cheap.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here