Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzns_gw

rhodies/azalias to plant with dogwood

suzns
19 years ago

Hi, I was hoping someone could recommend some rhodies/azalias that would bloom around the same time as my Constellation (Rutcan) dogwood (white blooms). I have a postage stamped front yard that i share with my neighbor. we have a shared arborvitae hedge. A row of vine maples divides the two mini yards (less obvious than a fence!). I have a Constellation dogwood, about 2 years old (10 feet high), that I can see from my front door....it stands in front of the arborvitae. I would like to put about 4 rhodies/azalias in front of the dogwood (between the front door and the dogwood and they should be 1.5 to 2 feet high to rise above the Pittosporum Wheeler's Dwarf hedge that runs along my walkway). The site is shaded by vine maples (although the dogwood gets full sun). I would also like to put 2 rhodies behind the dogwood (also in full sun, and the size should be to 3 to 4 feet high to rise above the plants in front). To the right of this location is the neighbors property line and their big leaved yakushiman rhodies (with big white to pale pink blooms). I was kind of hoping for something a little more interesting. Can anyone tell me what variety of rhodie or whatever would be blooming when the dogwoods are blooming? This past year that tree bloomed so heavily the branches were wilting from the weight of all those flowers. It was amazing. I haven't seen any fall color on it though. The original design called for euonymous japonica (boxleaf euonymous), that gets to 1.5' tall. But I'm afraid the light level is too low for them.

Comments (5)

• hardrockkid
    19 years ago

I can't tell you specifically, because it will be quite zone-dependent. But a place you can get some good info is here:

http://www.carlsonsgardens.com/cal_color_frame_all.htm

Click in the left navigation area for different color groups. There are also tons of photos at this site.

Keep in mind that this calendar is for north of NYC (probably zone 6, though I don't know that for sure). So your bloom time will be earlier. But if you find something that interests you, you can ask around (at the Azalea/Rhodie forum, or nurseries near you, or Bob at Carlson's Gardens) about bloom time in your zone.

Hope that helps some!

• Barbaraga
    19 years ago

I'd suggest stopping by a local nursery and see what they recommend for your area that stays that small. They might have recommendations besides rhodies and azaleas too since full sun in zone 8 might be a little tough on them. (Garden Centers often employ people without any plant knowledge so go with a long established nursery.) Good luck!

• drtdgr
    19 years ago

George Schenk suggests Mollis azaleas, narcissus, and heucheras around dogwoods. Living in the land of rhodies, you shouldn't have a problem going to nurseries around the bloom time of the dogwood and see what you like. If you live by Federal Way, there is the Rhododendron Species Botanical Garden to check out. They also happen to have a sale on Sept. 18, 9am to 3pm. I've been before, lots of knowledgeful vendors.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    19 years ago

I'd second the suggestion to visit local garden centers or the Rhododendron Species Foundation Garden in Federal Way when your dogwood is bloom. The choices are nearly endless for rhodies and azaleas blooming in mid-April to mid-May in our area and you will be able to see and select by flower color and size what may work best for you. I'd encourage you to consider some of the lesser known and much lesser used species rhodies, many of which are smaller and later season bloomers and offer a distinctly different look than the more common hybrids. Of course later flowering rhodies are not a bad idea, either - it may be nice to have some later flower color after the dogwood is finished.

The Satsuki hybrid azalea 'Flame Creeper' is very attractive and offers coral red flowers in mid to late May. Good height for your lower selections.

And FWIW, Euonymus japonicus 'Microphylla' (boxleaf euonymus) will tolerate quite low light levels very well, but of course offers no particular flowering feature. The variegated form is much more attractive or you could try Lonicera nitida 'Lemon Beauty' for a bright splash of foliar color.

• NOTHO__NANTUCKET
    19 years ago

How about the Mucronulatum azalea,They are early bloomers.then you could try someting from the EXBURYHYBRID. Maybe you could think about pieris or even Mahonia . Perhaps I am swaying away from the tread oh well And lastbut not least drtdgr has the right idea about going to the nusrey N.N

Sponsored