Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need ID please something new for me

Posted by tomasincas Z5NWPA (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 28, 09 at 9:32

Anyone seen this in their woodlands or anywhere ? I dont even know where to start to look for it..It has a small yellow flower then it closes up when it dies and forms some sort of weird pod that grows, Will try and send picture of both plant and pod...Tom in Pa.
What is it

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need ID please something new for me

Velvet Leaf Abutilon theophrastii.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Velvet Leaf

o

fatamorgana,went to the link you provide and found this " Velvetleaf typically occurs where the soil has been recently disturbed and the long dormant seeds are brought close to the soil surface." I had recently removed a Japanese Andrometa bush and dug out the roots and re-raked
the area and I must have found some seeds that were dormant
and that plant is what sprouted up...99 percent sure that is the plant..I see it spreads,so I will get rid of it as soon as it is done blooming...thanks Tom in NWPA
I have another plant which had nice leaves and tiny white flowers and it grew to about three feet high.I thought when it was done, it was just a weed,so I started to pull it out and stuffed it in the walmart bag with my other weeds and noticed they had a minty smell..Maybee you can help me on that one also ...Thanks I'll try and send photo of that also

o
RE: Need ID on the other plant

fatamorgana or anyone ,this is the second plant I started to pull out because I thought it was a weed,The leaves smelled minty but not like my spearamint which grows along my woodland edges Ill show the bottom leaves then the tiny white flowers at the topwhite flowers
andlower leaves thanks Tom

o

Looks like a Artemisia of some type. Artemisia vulgaris, also known as mugwort, is very common where I live in Western NY State. Mugwort spreads quite vigorously via stolons. You could compare with it or other artemisias to see which you have.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia - Artemisia

o

fatamorgana,looks like I have some form of artemisia or Mugwort.Some photos of vulgaris look like mine others dont.Guess people in the past placed leaves in their drinks to flavor them.Sure are a lot of forms of Artemisia..wow...
Leaves shown on different web sites are slightly diff. from each other. Maybee from other localities..thanks again

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here