Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flutterbug_ac

when to plant epimedium?

flutterbug_ac
20 years ago

Hello,

I'd like to purchase and plant some epimedium in the woods in my backyard. Is it ok to do this in the fall, or do I need to wait until next spring?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Comments (12)

• ArborBluffGirl
    20 years ago

I just planted an epimedium yesterday. Planting now will help it to develope a decent root system so it will bloom in the spring.

• vbain
    20 years ago

Fall is a great time to plant perennials.

• nonews
    20 years ago

Last fall I planted an epimedium. In the spring, I could not see any sign of it and had almost given it up for dead. Suddenly, I spotted the delicate flowers and then came the green leaves. Its been beautiful ever since. Be sure to mark where you plant them. They are great plants.
    Nancy

• lov2shadegarden
    20 years ago

I have some of the old favorites and love them. The leaves are beautiful in the spring and they bloom their little hearts out. This past fall I ordered 6 new ones from Darrel Probst. He suggested I mulch them for the first winter. I have my fingers crossed they will all make it through this colder than usual winter.

• lilygirl5
    20 years ago

Don't purchase them, go to plant trades on garden web,and trade with someone. You will get so much more, and they will be hardy from your area, if you choose the right person. When you buy them there will just be one or two roots, that might not even survive.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    20 years ago

If you purchase epimediums, you might as well get them from the man who both popularized them and has brought all the new ones to us--Darrell Probst. His plants are top quality, the choice is enormous, and he is very nice to deal with.

• amr0719
    20 years ago

Does Darrell Probst sell them through a website? Catalog?

• david_5311
    20 years ago

Darrell's nursery is called "Garden Vision". They don't have a web site I don't think but if you do a google search you will find them and they will send you a catalog.

I have bought many plants from them. They are not cheap, epimediums in general are fairly pricey. But it is certainly not good advice from my perspective to tell sombody "don't buy them, just trade them". Sure if you want only a few basic common types, that will work. But there are literally hundreds of fine varieites and species of epimediums, and you won't get any of these by trading. Garden Vision sends out decent sized plants except for the really rare types which might need a bit more coddling. But they are worth it -- marvelous woodland plants with a great variety of flower color and leaf forms. Arrowhead Alpines, BTW, has quite a good selection of really nice epimediums, and they mail plants too. And midwesterners should just drive there, worth the trip.

• shelley_r
    19 years ago

I agree with all the positive comments about Darrell Probst and Garden Vision. A friend and I just recevied an order of 10 epimediums from Darrell and all had wonderful root systems and were well packaged for shipping.

I also want to add that Garden Vision prices are very reasonable. I have seen some of the same plants at other nurseries for much more. I'm thrilled with my order.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Epimedium Page

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    19 years ago

Another excellent source for epis is Naylor Creek Nursery in Washington state. Gary and Jack have an enormous collection - several dozen species and countless hybrids and cultivars. Most of my own collection has come from them, including a few that I have never seen offered elsewhere.

In addition to the epimediums, they offer a pretty impressive selection of a bunch of other shade loving perennials, including, of course, hostas and another favorite genus of mine, arisaemas. They have been rated as the #1 mail order source for hostas, btw, so I'd assume their customer service ranks right up there with the best. Fortunately for me, they are only a short dirve away, so I have never tested their mail order service.

Here is a link that might be useful: Naylor Creek Nursery.

• covella
    19 years ago

Speaking of epimedium - do you ever see slug damage on some of the species? I have the good old yellow one and a lovely rose pink one that came from an elderly deceased aunt - these are not bothered by slugs in the least. This spring I bought a tiny leaved epimedium with purple flowers at Holden Arboretum's spring sale. - This one has gotten some real holes chewed in the leaves. I'd have to go outside to look at the tag for the name. But in any case, I was surprised to see the damage. I used dilute 1:20 ammonia and sprayed for slugs. Do you have slug damage?

• bogturtle
    19 years ago

A great favorite of mine. Am increasing the types I grow. They are pricey, so I am going slowly. Never any slug damage and they crowd out the weeds. I have mentioned, many times, in the forums, that I string trim them to the ground in February of March because they look bad by then. The new leaves and emerging flowers look best after this trimmming.
    I have big areas, but it is just a once a year job and the rest of the time they are beautiful, practical and dependable. I cannot see a day when I will have too many and have not seen them offered in local nurseries, farm markets or for trade. Most are from mail order.