Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need hardscaping ideas!

Posted by drgnflyz z4ID (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 20, 04 at 14:15

I want to create a woodland-ish landscape for our front yard- I have my plant list covered. My problem is hardscaping. I think our house looks pinched down by the long narrow yard, the grade and the 60'+ trees up and down the street.

I am going to remove all of the bushes and plantings, sod and walkway and start from scratch. What do you think about bringing the grade down from the top of the yard 3-4' and berming up some of that dirt behind groupings of 3-4' rocks. The street side of the rocks would be planted with ferns and other woodland type. The trees will be groupings of aspen, birch, some evergreens with a small mature footprint.

I also want to use grass and pavers for walkways- someone suggested heating coils to get rid of snow shoveling/slipping issues. Input Please!

Here is a link that might be useful: front of house

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need hardscaping ideas!

It says I need a password to view your pictures.

o
RE: Need hardscaping ideas!

I saw your house on the Design Forum. The reality is that the house is very long and low slung. I think any kind of tree/shrub grouping would help.
Seems like you are willing to do a really big project.
What is the rest of the neighborhood like?
I just came back from Idaho,new construction uses alot of 'berming' and irrigation systems to keep those bermed trees alive. I suppose the berming is to give more height to new plantings? Soil for high desert areas?
Anyhow, why berm? Can you just plant evergreens and trees in groups along the sidewalk? Are you looking to really hide a bad view across the street?
Make a 'court yard' for the front entry using a fence or stone wall.Add your garden plants,then have the woodland near the sidewalk.
Just brainstorming.
p.s. I found some really beautiful parts of the country in Idaho.
Good luck with your 'project', franeli

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here