Return to the Woodlands Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is this some kind of orchid?

Posted by nymiekat 5PA (nymiekat@hotmail.com) on
Sun, Sep 14, 08 at 14:30

I found this flower in the woods on a trail ride. I know it is a little blurry, but I would love to know if anyone has seen one, or might know what it is

Here is a link that might be useful: blue orchid?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is this some kind of orchid?

It looks like Tradescanthia (Spiderwort) to me.

o

Tradescantia seems likely to me as well. I just wanted to point out that it's a big no-no to pick native wildflowers. Especially rare ones. Especially orchids.

o

Most likely it is tropical spiderwort a very invasive exotic weed. If that is what it is, feel free to remove as much of it as you can as it forms think stands that crowd natives out.

o

No. Athough it is in the spiderwort family, it is Commelina communis, Asiatic dayflower. There is a native one, but it has all petals blue, whereas the alien one has the white petal, as you can see in your photo. They have been especially prolific in my area this year.

o

It is the asiatic dayflower. I made the bad mistake of bringing home and planting this "pretty flower"! OH WOE!!! It spreads everywhere!! All over my flower beds, in the garden and down the hill!!!

o

I agree Asiatic Daylily. One showed in my yard in the spring and I've been hauling out bucketfuls every week since. I wouldn't bring one home. :D

o

Definitely Asiatic Dayflower, Blue Dayflower
Commelina communis.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Woodlands Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here